RE: [ISN] Editorial - Hacker Vs. Cracker, Revisited

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 02 1998 - 00:41:17 PDT

    [Moderator: I think most of the ones you list are a given. The only
     one I would dispute is your definition of 'hacker'. I won't go
     into a rant (in this forum at least) about my views on it, but
     suffice it to say.. there are some people out there that are good
     at breaking into networks, but only do it when contracted, or
     have permission (friend's network, etc). They are good at finding
     new holes in software, writing exploit code, writing fix/patches,
     and more. I would certainly qualify those types hackers, which would
     fall out of the realm of your definition.]

    Reply From: "Simon Johnson" <simonat_private>

    Hello Everyone,

    I wasn't going to contribute to this thread.. but its touched a raw nerve.
    Here in Australia I have grown up with the following terms and it really
    shits me when the media (or anyone else) gets on the security bandwagon and
    has no idea what they are talking about. For the benefit of the world here
    are my definitions. I'm sure most of you will agree:

    1. A hacker is a person who attempts to, or gains unauthorised access to a
    computer system.

    2. A cracker is a person who breaks copyright protection on software.

    3. Warez kiddies or warez traders are people who copy pirated software.

    4. Couriers are people who distribute pirated software from one system to
    another.

    5. A Phreaker is a person who manipulates the telephone or telephone system
    to gain free telephone calls.

    In the last 2-3 years we have seen:

    6. Tools kiddies are people who use automated tools to hack. (eg: Internet
    Scanners, port scanners etc.. )

    7. DOS Kiddies are similar to Tools kiddies but use automated tools to
    conduct Denial of Service attacks on others. (Usually on IRC).

    As far as I am concerned this whole thing is black and white, there are no
    in-betweens. A cracker and a hacker are two different things! Anyone who
    makes up new names like "Spider", "White Hacker", "Phracker", "Warez Doodz"
    is just not informed.

    Now I feel better.

    Regards

    Simon Johnson