Re: [ISN] NA to acquire Dr Solomon... Strong Crypto Kills?

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 11 1998 - 13:30:08 PDT

    [Moderator: I figured I would get a few replies on this one :)]

    Reply From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilsonat_private>

    Wired News wrote:
    > WASHINGTON -- A senior Department of Justice official pulled no
    > punches in spelling out the federal government's case in pushing for
    > a "back door" that would give law enforcement access to all encrypted
    > communications transmitted in the United States.

    > Robert Litt, principal associate deputy attorney general, turned to
    > drama to make his point at the 1998 EPIC Cryptography Conference,
    > before a skeptical audience of approximately 250 crypto and security
    > experts.

    > "We can count on the fact that the spread of strong encryption is
    > going to mean that lives are going to be lost," Litt said. "People
    > are going to be at greater risk because it is going to compromize
    > law enforcement's ability to investigate [crimes]."

    Umm, this is coming out of the south-facing end of a northward bound
    bull. If encryption is outlawed then only outlaws will have encryption.
    There will always be software offering strong encryption without
    government backdoors, and the only barrier to its use will be that it is
    illegal. If I was going to do something which would involve people dying
    then I certainly wouldn't have any qualms about using illegal software -
    would you?

    Cheers, Chris.
    --
     /'__// / ,__(_)_ Wilson <Chris.Wilsonat_private>

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]