[ISN] Book: 2nd Edition of Cryptography and Network Security

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 14 1998 - 16:33:45 PDT

    Forwarded From: "Jay D. Dyson" <jdysonat_private>

    [Now I know what I want for Xmas! :) -Jay]

    Courtesy of Cypherpunks List Digest.

    by William Stallings <wsat_private>

    This is to announce the publication of the Cryptography and Network
    Security, Second Edition. The book is intended to be both a professional
    reference and a textbook. A table of contents is attached, and discount
    ordering information is available at the web site listed below.

    Cryptography and Network Security, Principles and Practice, Second Edition
    William Stallings
    (Prentice-Hall, 1999, ISBN 0-13-869017-0)

    TABLE OF CONTENTS

    PREFACE

    CHAPTER 1   OVERVIEW
       1.1   Attacks, Services, and Mechanisms
       1.2   Security Attacks
       1.3   Security Services
       1.4   A Model for Internetwork Security
       1.5   Outline of this Book
       1.6   Recommended Reading

    PART ONE  CONVENTIONAL ENCRYPTION

    CHAPTER 2   CONVENTIONAL ENCRYPTION: CLASSICAL TECHNIQUES
       2.1   Conventional Encryption Model
       2.2   Steganography
       2.3   Classical Encryption Techniques
       2.4   Recommended Reading
       2.5   Problems

    CHAPTER 3   CONVENTIONAL ENCRYPTION: MODERN TECHNIQUES
       3.1   Simplified DES
       3.2   Block Cipher Principles
       3.3   The Data Encryption Standard (DES)
       3.4   The Strength of DES
       3.5   Differential and Linear Cryptanalysis
       3.6   Block Cipher Design Principles
       3.7   Block Cipher Modes of Operation
       3.8   Recommended Reading
       3.9   Problems
       Appendix 3A: Bent Functions

    CHAPTER 4   CONVENTIONAL ENCRYPTION: ALGORITHMS
       4.1   Triple DES
       4.2   International Data Encryption Algorithm (IDEA)
       4.3   Blowfish
       4.4   RC5
       4.5   CAST-128
       4.6   RC2
       4.7   Characteristics of Advanced Symmetric Block Ciphers
       4.8   Problems

    CHAPTER 5   CONFIDENTIALITY USING CONVENTIONAL ENCRYPTION
       5.1   Placement of Encryption Function
       5.2   Traffic Confidentiality
       5.3   Key Distribution
       5.4   Random Number Generation
       5.5   Recommended Reading
       5.6   Problems

    PART TWO  PUBLIC-KEY ENCRYPTION AND HASH FUNCTIONS

    CHAPTER 6   PUBLIC-KEY CRYPTOGRAPHY
       6.1   Principles of Public-Key Cryptosystems
       6.2   The RSA Algorithm
       6.3   Key Management
       6.4   Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange
       6.5   Elliptic Curve Cryptography
       6.6   Recommended Reading
       6.7   Problems
       Appendix 6A: The Complexity of Algorithms

    CHAPTER 7   INTRODUCTION TO NUMBER THEORY
       7.1   Prime and Relatively Prime Numbers
       7.2   Modular Arithmetic
       7.3   Fermat's and Euler's Theorems
       7.4   Testing for Primality
       7.5   Euclid's Algorithm
       7.6   The Chinese Remainder Theorem
       7.7   Discrete Logarithms
       7.8   Recommended Reading
       7.9   Problems

    CHAPTER 8   MESSAGE AUTHENTICATION AND HASH FUNCTIONS
       8.1   Authentication Requirements
       8.2   Authentication Functions
       8.3   Message Authentication Codes
       8.4   Hash Functions
       8.5   Security of Hash Functions and MACs
       8.6   Recommended Reading
       8.7   Problems
       Appendix 8A: Mathematical Basis of Birthday Attack

    CHAPTER 9   HASH AND MAC ALGORITHMS
       9.1   MD5 Message Digest Algorithm
       9.2   Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA-1)
       9.3   RIPEMD-160
       9.4   HMAC
       9.5   Problems

    CHAPTER 10  DIGITAL SIGNATURES AND AUTHENTICATION PROTOCOLS
       10.1  Digital Signatures
       10.2  Authentication Protocols
       10.3  Digital Signature Standard (DSS)
       10.4  Recommended Reading
       10.5  Problems
       Appendix 10A: Proof of the DSS Algorithm

    PART THREE  NETWORK SECURITY PRACTICE

    CHAPTER 11  AUTHENTICATION APPLICATIONS
       11.1  Kerberos
       11.2  X.509 Directory Authentication Service
       11.3  Recommended Reading
       11.4  Problems
       Appendix 11A: Kerberos Encryption Techniques

    CHAPTER 12  ELECTRONIC MAIL SECURITY
       12.1  Pretty Good Privacy (PGP)
       12.2  S/MIME
       12.3  Problems
       Appendix 12A: Data Compression Using ZIP
       Appendix 12B: Radix-64 Conversion
       Appendix 12C: PGP Random Number Generation

    CHAPTER 13  IP SECURITY
       13.1  IP Security Overview
       13.2  IP Security Architecture
       13.3  Authentication Header
       13.4  Encapsulating Security Payload
       13.5  Combining Security Associations
       13.6  Key Management
       13.7  Recommended Reading
       13.8  Problems
       Appendix 13A: Internetworking and Internet Protocols

    CHAPTER 14  WEB SECURITY
       14.1  Web Security Requirements
       14.2  Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS)
       14.3  Secure Electronic Transaction (SET)
       14.4  Recommended Reading
       14.5  Problems

    PART FOUR  SYSTEM SECURITY

    CHAPTER 15  INTRUDERS AND VIRUSES
       15.1  Intruders
       15.2  Viruses and Related Threats
       15.3  Recommended Reading
       15.4  Problems

    CHAPTER 16  FIREWALLS
       16.1  Firewall Design Principles
       16.2  Trusted Systems
       16.3  Recommended Reading
       16.4  Problems

    APPENDIX A  PROJECTS FOR TEACHING CRYPTOGRAPHY AND NETWORK SECURITY
       A.1   Research Projects
       A.2   Programming Projects
       A.3   Reading/Report Assignments

    GLOSSARY