[ISN] National Emergency Extended

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 15 1998 - 05:01:05 PDT

    From: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>

    [Actually, it's just extending the existing one. So the White House can
    continue to restrict exports of crypto software like Netscape and
    Microsoft's web browsers. --Declan]

    	CONTINUATION OF EMERGENCY
    	REGARDING EXPORT CONTROL REGULATIONS
    	On August 19, 1994, consistent with the authority provided me
    under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701
    et seq.), I issued Executive Order 12924.  In that order, I declared
    a national emergency with respect to the unusual and extraordinary
    threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the
    United States in light of the expiration of the Export Administration
    Act of 1979, as amended (50 U.S.C. App. 2401 et seq.).  Because the
    Export Administration Act has not been renewed by the Congress, the
    national emergency declared on August 19, 1994, must continue in
    effect beyond August 19, 1998.  Therefore, in accordance with section
    202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am
    continuing the national emergency declared in Executive Order 12924.
    	This notice shall be published in the Federal Register and
    transmitted to the Congress.
    	WILLIAM J. CLINTON
    	THE WHITE HOUSE,
    	August 13, 1998

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: New Dimensions International [www.newdimensions.net]