Re: [ISN] rt66.com Attackers blamed for 1.8 million in damages

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 03:47:23 PDT

    [Moderator: Ms. Meinel is not teaching the FBI. She submitted a proposal,
     but it was not accepted. Techbroker is the site for her consulting
     business and should have little to do with the HH deal. She also
     has www.happyhacker.org registered which is designed to sell books.]

    Reply From: Chris Wilson <cmw32at_private>

    > From: Carolyn Meinel <cmeinelat_private>
    > Subject: HHD for 8/17

    I thought I recognised this name from somewhere. Carolyn Meinel wrote the
    book Happy Hackers and, I believe, an E-zine by the same name. The book
    has been accused of being a "decoy", teaching useless "hacking" techniques
    and things which simply don't work. Ms. Meinel herself is now training the
    Feds to catch exactly the same hackers she trained with her book. If I
    were a hacker who'd discovered how worthless the book is and then found
    out that she was training the Feds how to find me, I'd be pretty pissed
    off.

    The "volunteer" web site (www.techbroker.com) she runs, is the vehicle for
    promotion of her book and e-zine. Given her dual incomes from book sales
    and consulting to the U.S. Government, I'm surprised she can't afford to pay
    her staff.

    Ciao, Chris.
     /'__// / ,__(_)_ Wilson <Chris.Wilsonat_private> ----------------- -
    / (_ / ,\/ _/ /_ \ Webmaster/SysAdmin/Timelord/BOFH/Programmer --------- -
    \__//_/_/_//_/___/ "1998 isn't MCMXCVIII. The Romans would have used MIIM"

    DISCLAIMER: This message is not real. Nothing ever happened. I am a figment
    of your imagination. I do not exist. Bill Gates is good. Bill Gates is God.
    Buy Microsoft - everything will be all right. Trust in Bill.

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: New Dimensions International [www.newdimensions.net]