[ISN] Editorial: Script Kiddies

From: mea culpa (jerichot_private)
Date: Wed Oct 07 1998 - 14:26:02 PDT

    Script Kiddies
    An AntiOnline Editorial
    10-6-98  http://www.antionline.com

    In the past, a hacker was an individual who literally had to spend years
    to learn the inner workings of computer technology, programming, and
    hardware. Only then could he begin to explore possible vulnerabilities,
    and develop, for himself, ways to exploit those vulnerabilities, and more
    importantly, ways to patch them. Through out these years of learning, the
    hacker would develop a certain respect for the technology that he was
    studying, and a certain level of maturity would inherently develop as
    well. Now, in present day society, with point and click utilities abound,
    a younger, less mature, less knowledgeable, and less respectful,
    generation of "hackers" have come to life.

    Individuals who haven't had to go through the years of learning, and
    study. Individuals, who because of the lack of experiencing this "learning
    process" have not developed the traits which once went hand in hand with
    the persona of "hacker". Kids who are at that age, where they have very
    little self respect, and even less respect for others. Kids who are
    insecure, and have a strong desire to feel that sense of belonging. The
    sense of being accepted as part of a group, and respected among their
    peers. The same emotional state which once led inner city youth to gangs,
    is now leading them to "hacking". Individuals who feel the ultimate sense
    of power in "hacking a webpage". Their words being read by thousands of
    others. Their ability to control something. The technology is not a love,
    but a tool to accomplish something much more in their eyes. A tool that
    can be used to gain them acceptance, a feeling of empowerment, belonging,
    and control. A tool to allow them to escape the ridicule of the kids on
    the bus, or the back of their parent's hand. Oh, and I can hear people
    screaming "stereotyping" right now.

    Well, call it what you may. I've talked to literally thousands of these so
    called "hackers"  over the past 5 or 6 years. You'd be surprised at how
    clear of a mold many of them come from. I am really sick of hearing "we
    hacked that page to get a message out".  Perhaps, in some very, very, rare
    cases, that is true. But, I submit to you, the vast majority of time a
    hack is done first, and a political agenda is developed after hand to help
    rationalize the crime. On top of that, one hardly has to "hack a webpage"
    to get their point of view told. That's the wonder of the Internet.
    Everyone is an equal. Everyone has the opportunity to post their views,
    and share their thoughts. Once again, these so called "hackers" avoid the
    developmental process. They don't want to spend the time and energy
    necessary to create a successful website of their own. So, they
    maliciously exploit the work of others that have.

    I'm 19 years old right now. I know what it is like being upset about
    something, and feeling that there's no way to share that with others.
    That's one of the reasons that I made AntiOnline. It's my forum. My way of
    expressing my views on things. To think of me, a 19 year old college drop
    out. Yet, my work is viewed millions of times every month. That, my little
    "hacker" friends, is power. That is what the Internet is about. That's why
    it works. That's why it's growing. Unless you change your ways soon, you
    will never be truly experiencing the wonder that technology is.

    To truly love technology, love how it is changing our society, bringing
    mankind together in a way never before experienced in the history of the
    human race. You'll never truly be experiencing the very thing that you
    feel you have ultimate control over. A true irony indeed. Of course, as
    with all things, there is hope. There are people out their hanging on
    tightly to the ways of old, and the true hacker identity. There are groups
    like L0pht, the distributed.net bovine group, and the kids down at your
    local high school learning visual basic. Those are the true hackers. A
    desire to learn, a desire to be the first to discover something new. A
    true hacker mentality is something that shouldn't be thought of as a dark,
    mischievous thing, but perhaps, more like that of a scientist. Study,
    learn, experiment, and share what you've found with others......

    Yours In CyberSpace,
    John Vranesevich
    Founder, AntiOnline

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomot_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]