[ISN] Netscape add security module

From: mea culpa (jerichot_private)
Date: Wed Oct 14 1998 - 22:57:23 PDT

    Forwarded From: phreak moi <hackerelitet_private>

    http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,27554,00.html?st.ne.3.head
    Netscape adds security module
    By Tim Clark
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    October 14, 1998, 4:05 p.m. PT

    Seeking to boost the visibility of its security offerings, Netscape
    Communications next week will announce that other software vendors are
    embedding its directory and certificate servers in their offerings.

    Netscape also will unveil a new security module for software developers
    and systems integrators to add Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) security to
    their e-commerce applications.

    "The biggest deal is the directory integration," said Marlo Kosanovich, a
    security analyst at Meta Group. "Users have been tired of managing
    multiple directories, one in each application or network resource."

    By using Netscape Directory Server, different applications or devices can
    be managed from a single directory. Check Point firewalls and Bay Networks
    switches will use the Netscape directory, basically swapping out their
    internal directories to manage security and use Netscape's instead.

    It also named 20 vendors that are embedding Netscape's directory and
    certificate servers into their offerings.

    The new SSL security module, called Netscape Security Services (NSS), does
    not compete with SSL toolkits from RSA Data Security and other
    cryptography vendors, said Karen Horwitz, Netscape senior product
    marketing manager.

    "We have been packaged modules we use to incorporate SSL into our own
    applications, and now we have packaged them so third-party vendors can use
    the same modules," Horwitz said. StampMaster, which offers postage stamps
    over the Internet, is using NSS.

    The standard version of NNS is now available for $70,000 per application
    with no royalties. A version that has been certified for the federal
    government's FIPS 140-I costs $150,000.

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomot_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]