Re: [ISN] Forbes Interviews HFG

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 03 1998 - 08:15:48 PST

    Reply From: <anon>

    On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, John Vranesevich wrote:

    > reading the article, I found it to be disappointingly superficial.  They
    > did these hacks "because they were bored and couldn't agree on a video
    > to watch."  Whatever...  I was hoping that this interview would delve
    > into the minds of the HFG a bit deeper.

    Judging from the apparent savvy of HFG, I would imagine they chose to
    remain intentionally vague in order to avoid the potential of any FBI
    profiling.  (Although it should be noted that HFG gave away a lot of
    information in their HTML comments of the various mirrored hacks I've
    seen.)

    > It's obvious that these guys aren't your stereotypical "crackers" as
    > this report seems to suggest.  I think their motives are far more
    > complex than that.  I would be curious to find out what the HFG's
    > reaction to this article was, and if they were given the opportunity to
    > review it before it went to print?

    I would personally be shocked if HFG did another "up periscope."  That
    they even talked to the media seems curiously out-of-step with their
    apparent way of doing things.  (Of course, I should note that I was
    shocked that HFG hit the New York Times since I figured they would vanish
    after they hit JPL/NASA.)

    > Also, I found it somewhat scarry that Adam mentioned the "3 room condo".
    > Talk about helping the FBI narrow down their suspect list a bit, huh?

    Um...doesn't Carolyn Meinel live in a three room condo?

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]