Re: [ISN] Wanted: Computer hackers to test the latest technology!

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 05:55:06 PST

    Reply From: Lawrence Hughes <LawrenceH@secure-it.net>

    In Singapore ("a truly 'fine' city" - $200 fine for chewing gum, $100 fine
    for jaywalking, etc), an event like this is most likely to be a way for
    the local Gestapo to locate and identify local hackers for future
    investigation.  If they want some quality hacking, they must make
    provisions for true anonymity. Makes it kind of hard to award prizes,
    though. Perhaps real hackers might consider the time period of the contest
    as an ideal time to try hacking into some of the Singapore government's
    sites.... if my theory is right, all their attention will be directed to
    the "official"  contest.

    For folks not aware of the situation, Singapore is pretty much a
    dictatorship run by a "benevolent" father figure who has run it as
    essentially a family business for many decades. It comes as close as
    anywhere on the planet to the classic "anything not absolutely mandatory
    is strictly prohibited".

    >SINGAPORE (November 4, 1998 11:20 p.m. EST http://www.nandotimes.com)  -
    >Organizers of an information technology trade show in Singapore called on
    >computer hackers Thursday to surface and test their skills in live
    >demonstrations aimed at promoting cyber-security.

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]