[ISN] 1998 Hacker Darwin Awards :)

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 28 1998 - 14:08:52 PST

    Forwarded From: Faust <faustat_private>

    http://www.zdnet.com/yil/content/mag/9901/dubious3.html
    1998 Year on the Net Dubious Achievements

    Hacker of Fortunes
    The Magazine of Cybermercenaries

    Next Up: Manson for Ginsu Knives

    Israel's largest newspaper, Yedioth Ahronoth, featured a full-page ad for
    EIM Co.'s Newron computer.  The unlikely pitchman? Computer hacker Ehud
    Tenenbaum, aka Analyzer. The 18-year-old, best known for visiting the
    Pentagon's computer network when he wasn't invited, sat beside the
    headline: "In order to go far, you need the best tools."

    I Want My Pub-lici-ty!

    In an apparent bid for attention, MTV.com hacked its own Web site. "I'm
    in! I TOLD YOU GUYS I'D DO IT! J.F.," read the site on August 31. "J.F."
    turned out to be Johnny Fame, a then-unknown reporter whom the network,
    according to a spokesperson, "wanted to present [in] a dramatic and
    media-appropriate way." Sadly, Fame remains largely unknown.

    Black Hack Hijack

    To strengthen his discrimination case against Morgan Stanley Dean Witter,
    a black ex-employee allegedly hired a hacker to send fake e-mails
    containing racial epithets. The hacker was an undercover cop, and
    Christian Curry, 24, was arraigned on charges of forgery, tampering with
    physical evidence, and coercion.

    The Trojan War

    Using a "Trojan horse" program, a juvenile (named John Doe in court
    documents) stole the passwords of more than 500 AOL users. He was charged
    with one count of unlawful interception of electronic communications.

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Internet Security Institute [www.isi-sec.com]