[ISN] HERT formed as alternative to CERT

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 02:44:40 PST

    http://linuxtoday.com/stories/2196.html

    Creation of HERT
    HERT - January 10th 1999, 09:12 EST

    HERT stands for Hacker Emergency Response Team and is an international
    non-profit organization based in France.

    Exactly like CERT, our US counterpart, our first goal is to provide
    accurate information about computer security vulnerabilities, provide
    incident response services to sites that have been the victims of attacks,
    publish security alerts and find new vulnerabilities. Our next goal is to
    represent concerned computer users and organizations as an advocacy
    league.

    Why HERT is a better alternative to CERT?

    National Computer Security Center, a sub-branch of the National Security
    Agency initiated the creation of the Computer Emergency Response Team and
    was funded by the Defense Advanced Research Agency (DARPA).

    A majority of people think CERT is doing a brilliant job, but when you
    examine CERT more closely, one could believe CERT is a bit corrupted.

    Just take a look at the CERT statistics, since 1995, for 1027
    vulnerabilities reported, they have published only 55 advisories
    bulletins. Is this a joke, did they count duplicate vulnerability reports?
    Was there 1000 cert initiated vendor advisories?

    >From an organization directed by US Military Intelligence, you must
    assume the worst especially when they brag about their Information
    Superiority.

    We decided to create HERT, when system administrators of highly sensitive
    US networks informed us that they were supplied with official vendor
    patches months before public announcement were made by vendors, CERT or
    full-disclosure mailing lists like Bugtraq.

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Internet Security Institute [www.isi-sec.com]