RE: [ISN] HERT formed as alternative to CERT

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 12:55:58 PST

    Reply From: "Forno, Rick" <rfornoat_private>

    I don't believe this. The French are NOTORIOUS in the West for their
    economic and industrial espionage activities against their "allies". Do
    they really think anyone is going to give them information (read
    "intelligence")  regarding a major corporation's network security or
    incident trends?  Granted, the same could be said for CMU's CERT, but who
    was it that invented the Internet?? The US. So it's only natural that the
    CERT be an American firm....but it has expanded its' membership and
    activities internationally, so I really don't see why the French want to
    have their "HERT" except that....

    ...The French have a saying in the community that they are "allies on the
    battlefield, foes in the boardroom" -- this goes a long way in explaining
    their collection efforts against US/UK in recent years in the areas of
    high technology, aerospace, and industrial development.

    Any American company that reports their vulnerabilities to a foreign
    service tied to such a questionable government should be treated
    thereafter as being targeted by French intelligence.

    "Call The HERT -- We'll HURT you"

    Rick
    ...these views are my own and in no way reflect those of my employer or
    alter egos....  :)

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Internet Security Institute [www.isi-sec.com]