RE: [ISN] The force - that's the police force..

From: cult hero (jerichoat_private)
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 16:14:37 PDT

    Reply From: Andrew Esposito <AEspositat_private>

    [...]
    > Buttner, who was sent by the AFP to Canada to train in
    > computer forensics, says his team has been called on
    > to search computers for the Australian Customs Service
    > to find e-mail that confirms the importation of prohibited
    > substances, recover digital images in child pornography
    > investigations and retrieve information from satellite
    > navigation systems on drug smugglers' boats.

    Why does the media invariably mention child pornography when talking about
    computer crime?  Has this crime just been invented with the
    microprocessor?  Have there been hundreds of news stories that mention
    child pornography spanning the last 50 years?

    > In February, a US presidential decree saw the FBI set up a
    > National Infrastructure Protection Center as a front-line
    > defense against hacking.  It will also advise on cyber crime
    > policy.

    The US.  The US.  The US.  Who cares?

    > The FBI has strongly lobbied that the use of encryption by
    > criminals and terrorists poses a "serious threat", and says
    > its Laboratories Computer Analysis and Response Team has
    > seen in the past two years a rise to 7 per cent from 2 per
    > cent in the number of cases involving encryption.

    And the FBI would like to take every other right away from every other
    law-abiding American to catch 0.0001% of the criminals who are using
    encryption.

    Men who would give up freedom for security deserve neither.
      -- Thomas Jefferson

    > The FBI warns that encrypted data found on a computer in
    > Manila belonging to the terrorist Ramzi Yousef, who plotted
    > to blow up 11 US airlines, had still not been cracked.

    The FBI.  The FBI.

    I use encryption for a wealth of things.  I encrypt my credit card
    information (along with phone numbers -- in case I loose them and have to
    cancel them), my diary (not good reading), computer algorithms and ideas
    for programs (hey, they are proprietary), and email to and from my closest
    friends.

    If I were ever suspected of a crime, I'm afraid the computer crime
    division (CCD?) would immediately think I'm guilty because I've had
    private communications that were encrypted.  Which I am under no
    OBLIGATION to decode!  Those are PRIVATE files!  This is fast becoming the
    last inquisition of the 20th century.

    > So, what does the digital future hold for justice?

    What does the digital future hold for basic liberties and personal
    freedoms?

    > "Depending on the development of technology and
    > its acceptance by the courts,  we are looking
    > towards an electronic courtroom where all evidence is
    > recorded on CD. It stops the paperwork, makes
    > indexing easier, and is happening in the US now."

    Depending on the development of technology and it's acceptance by the
    courts, we are looking to have 95% of the population behind bars by 2038.

    And once evidence is digital it will be easier to modify (for those hard
    convictions) and it will be easier to keep it out of the hands of the
    majority of the populace.

    Their next plan is to put an end to education so the population will be
    easier to control and manipulate.

    And Just because the US is doing something it doesn't make it right.  D@mn
    it, think for yourself.

    --
    Andrew Joseph Esposito
    mailto:ajeat_private

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Hacker News Network [www.hackernews.com]