Re: [ISN] What's a Little Hacking Between Friends?

From: cult hero (jerichoat_private)
Date: Mon May 31 1999 - 17:55:19 PDT

Reply From: <anon>

On Sun, 30 May 1999, cult hero wrote:

> http://www.zdnet.com/zdtv/siliconspin/features/story/0,3725,2245017,00.html
<snip>
> How much does hacking hurt? The companies hacked by Kevin Mitnick say
> the intrusions cost them millions of dollars in lost business and
> damages-- and they're handing him a collective restitution bill of $300
> million.

Humor me this one point with respect to the companies claiming losses
against Mitnick.  Each claim millions of dollars in loss, yet none of them
posted said losses to their stockholders in those given years.

Why has this been consistently overlooked?  It would seem to me that a
company could not claim a loss without reporting it to their stockholders.
And if they didn't report it to their stockholders, then shouldn't the
Federal Trade Commission look into it?  And if it is determined that they
rightly did not report a loss, then wouldn't that mean there was in fact
no loss and that their sworn testimony to the courts were in fact perjury?

Something's not right in Denmark.

-o-
Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
Today's ISN Sponsor: OSAll [www.aviary-mag.com]