[ISN] "Top secret" laptop reported missing

From: William Knowles (wkat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 01:25:02 PDT

    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/010416/80/bkwiz.html

    For the life of me, I can't understand how the British seem to lose
    so many laptops with sensitve information on them, When I travel with
    a laptop I watch it better than some of my fellow travelers watch
    their own children, and my laptop isn't packed with national defence
    secrets.

    If memory serves me correctly, this is the second laptop reported lost
    in the back of a taxi. About now it would seem like a good idea to
    have the MoD use their own drivers shuttling personnel around over
    taking a cab.

    William Knowles
    wkat_private

    Monday April 16, 08:01 AM

    LONDON (Reuters) - A Defence Ministry laptop computer packed with
    national security secrets has gone missing after an official left it
    in the back of a taxi, the Mirror has reported.

    The laptop was thought to contain vital information about new weapons
    systems, it said.

    The Mirror said the official had notified police about the missing
    laptop.

    No immediate comment was available from the Defence Ministry or
    police.

    It was the latest of several laptops with military or intelligence
    information reported lost in Britain in just over a year.

    In March last year there were reports that agents of MI5, the domestic
    security service, and MI6, the overseas security service, had lost
    laptops containing secret information.

    The MI5 laptop, said to contain confidential information on Northern
    Ireland, was snatched at a London railway station.

    Before the start of the 1991 Gulf War, a laptop said to have contained
    combat plans was stolen from the car of a air force officer, who lost
    his job as a result.

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC