[ISN] New ICAT Vulnerability Service

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 02:33:06 PDT

    Forwarded by: Peter Mell <peter.mellat_private>

    New ICAT Vulnerability Service

    The NIST Computer Security Division's ICAT project team is now giving
    away copies of the ICAT vulnerability database for public use
    (http://icat.nist.gov). This means that ICAT can now be used as a
    royalty free vulnerability database for commercial and free products.
    In addition, the ICAT data file contains a GUI interface allowing
    people to use ICAT as an off-line application. We support the public
    sharing of vulnerability information that can help secure systems and
    we are excited about releasing control of our data.

    The ICAT vulnerability data is available as a Microsoft Access 2000
    file in the "download" section of the ICAT web site. From this file,
    the data can be easily exported into most database products. It should
    be noted that ICAT is not itself a true vulnerability database but is
    instead a searchable index of vulnerability information. Only when the
    ICAT data is combined with the numerous vulnerability advisories that
    it references can ICAT be used as a vulnerability database. Thus, the
    most important data in ICAT is the mapping of CVE standard
    vulnerability names (http://cve.mitre.org) to hyperlinks leading to
    various vendor and security company advisories. Another important data
    set in ICAT is the list of vendor names, product names, and version
    numbers associated with each vulnerability.

    Other ICAT Developments: 1. ICAT now contains 2628 vulnerabilities 2.
    ICAT has a new interface to better support Unix based browsers and
    users with slow connections

    Have a great day,
    Peter Mell
    ICAT Project Lead

    ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
    ---
    To unsubscribe email isn-unsubscribeat_private