[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - August 10th 2001

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 23:41:03 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                      Linux  Advisory Watch  |
    |  August 10th, 2001                        Volume 2, Number 32a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                  Benjamin Thomas
                   daveat_private       benat_private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.It
    includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for xmcd, tomcat, squid, zope, FreeBSD
    kernel, openldap, xloadimage, and kerberos.  The vendors include Caldera,
    Debian, FreeBSD, and Red Hat and SuSE.

    ** Sponsored by Thawte **

    SECURE YOUR APACHE SERVERS- GET OUR FREE GUIDE TO LEARN HOW Get a FREE
    Guide from Thawte, the #1 global certificate provider for Apache Web
    servers. Learn how to set up Apache servers for SSLeay, get a secure
    server ID, and more. Click here to get the guide:

    http://www.thawte.com/ucgi/gothawte.cgi?a=n172847680022000

    EnGarde Secure Linux v1.0.1 - EnGarde is a secure distribution of Linux
    engineered from the ground-up to provide organizations with the level of
    security required to create a corporate Web presence or even conduct
    e-business on the Web. It can be used as a Web, DNS, e-mail, database,
    e-commerce, and general Internet server where security is a primary
    concern.

    http://www.engardelinux.org/download.html

    HTML Version:
    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/vuln-newsletter.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  xmcd                           | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Cda, a setuid commandline part of xmcd, a X11/Motif audio CD player by Ti
    Kan , was found vulnerable by a link attack and some bufferoverflows.
    These bugs could be exploited by an adversary, who has access to the
    system, to overwrite files or gain higher privileges.

     SuSE-7.2
     ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/7.2/snd2/
     xmcd-2.6-195.i386.rpm
     2e11b84704ab44c61b04f2e9bfde1371

     SuSE Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-1532.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  tomcat                         | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    There are several security problems with Jakarta-Tomcat, a Java
    Servlet Engine, shipped as part of OpenLinux 3.1 Server. Several
    vulnerabilities allowed attackers to view files in the system. A
    second problem allowed so-called cross-site scripting, where a
    hostile Web server can feed JavaScript or other code to a web
    browser, making it appear to originate from the server running
    tomcat.

     ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1/
     Server/current/RPMS

     RPMS/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3-3.i386.rpm
     b2b4fa902845eb88b81b7778d9625e2f

     Caldera Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-1533.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  squid                          | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    There is a security problem with Squid, a proxy server shipped as
    part of OpenLinux 3.1 Server. If Squid is configured for accelerator
    mode (setting http_accel_with_proxy off), any request to Squid is
    allowed. Malicious users may use your proxy to portscan remote
    systems, forge email, and other activities.

     Caldera:
     1779083edd38872f2ac15c219131d1ba
     RPMS/squid-2.4.STABLE1-7.i386.rpm

     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-1534.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  Zope                           | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    We *highly* recommend that any Zope site running Zope 2.3.3, Zope
    2.4.0 final or any alpha or beta version of 2.4.0 have this hotfix
    product installed to mitigate the issue. Zope 2.4.1 will contain a
    fix for the issue, at which time the hotfix can be removed.

     http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/
     Hotfix_2001-08-04/README.txt

     http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/
     Hotfix_2001-08-04/Hotfix_2001_08_04.tgz

     Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-1535.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  FreeBSD                        | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    A flaw exists in FreeBSD signal handler clearing that would allow for
    some signal handlers to remain in effect after the exec.  Most of the
    signals were cleared, but some signal hanlders were not.  This
    allowed an attacker to execute arbitrary code in the context of a
    setuid binary.

     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY

     FreeBSD Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-1536.html
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-1537.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  OpenLDAP                       | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    The problem is that slapd did not handle packets with an invalid BER
    length of length fields and would crash if it received those.  An
    attacked can use this to mount a denial of service attack  remotely.

     Debian Intel IA-32 architecture:
     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/
     libopenldap-dev_1.2.12-1_i386.deb
     MD5 checksum: f38364b6f9b3a5089d58a792d0daca0a

     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/
     libopenldap1_1.2.12-1_i386.deb
     MD5 checksum: 00d96465ef85947015775996b44680b5

     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/
     openldap-gateways_1.2.12-1_i386.deb
     MD5 checksum: 3fa22bee43b35864d82fdb8e5118aeb5

     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/
     openldap-utils_1.2.12-1_i386.deb
     MD5 checksum: 0af27bf23ef1310c4f74f574ce11b1af

     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/
     openldapd_1.2.12-1_i386.deb
     MD5 checksum: fdf3b4c4fd3180470741128d06374c1e

     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-1538.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  xloadimage                     | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    The version of xloadimage (a graphics files viewer for X) that was
    shipped in Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 has a buffer overflow in the code
    that handles FACES format images. This could be exploited by an
    attacker by tricking someone into viewing a specially crafted image
    using xloadimage which would allow him to execute arbitrary code.

     Debian Intel IA-32 architecture:

     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/
     xloadimage_4.1-5potato1_i386.deb
     MD5 checksum: 909a84515f69e2329229aa5d5d805b7f

     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-1541.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  Kerberos                       | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Updated Kerberos 5 packages are now available for Red Hat Linux 6.2,
    7, and 7.1. These updates close vulnerabilities due to potential
    buffer overflows in the Kerberos-aware telnet server included in the
    krb5-workstation package.

     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-1542.html

    +---------------------------------+

    When subjected to the PROTOS LDAPv3 test suite, versions of OpenLDAP
    1.2 through 1.2.11 and 2.0 through 2.0.7 were found to have
    vulnerabilities which could be exploited by causing them to attempt
    to decode an improperly encoded request.  These vulnerabilities were
    fixed in OpenLDAP 1.2.12 and 2.0.8.

     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-1543.html