[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - August 24th 2001

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 02:52:39 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                      Linux  Advisory Watch  |
    |  August 24th, 2001                        Volume 2, Number 34a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                  Benjamin Thomas
                   daveat_private       benat_private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.It
    includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for fetchmail, groff, ucd-snmp, ipfw,
    sdb, gdm, telnetd, procfd, openssl prng, dump, sendmail, and tcp wrappers.
    The vendors include Caldera, Conectiva, FreeBSD, Mandrake, NetBSD,
    Progeny, and SuSE.

    Maximize your security with EnGarde!  EnGarde was designed from the ground
    up as a secure solution, starting with the principle of least privilege,
    and carrying it through every aspect of its implementation.
    http://www.engardelinux.org

    Take advantage of our Linux Security discussion list!  This mailing list
    is for general security-related questions and comments. To subscribe send
    an e-mail to security-discuss-requestat_private with "subscribe"
    as the subject.

    HTML Version:
    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/vuln-newsletter.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  fetchmail                      | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Fetchmail is a tool for retrieving and forwarding mail. Two
    vulnerabilities in the code of fetchmail were found in the last weeks.

     i386 Intel Platform: SuSE-7.2
     ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/7.2/n1/
     fetchmail-5.8.0-48.i386.rpm
     995660f54f997eb33120c6dcdab5ca73

     SuSE Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-1556.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   groff                         | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    groff, the GNU version of troff, has the potential of a remotely
    exploitable vulnerability in Progeny versions prior to 1.17.2-6 if being
    used with certain configurations of lpd.

     i385: Progeny
     http://archive.progeny.com/progeny/updates/newton/
     groff-base_1.17.2-6_i386.deb
     534cc0161fef71e64747938be33bf782

     groff_1.17.2-6_i386.deb
     277aba2ede78bc5b5035df566aacbb07

     groff-x11_1.17.2-6_i386.deb
     674fb9f76dce60c0c8cd3604d4f092be

     Progeny Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-1558.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  ucd-snmp                       | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    In a routine security audit of the ucd-snmp package we have found several
    problems, including several potentially exploitable buffer overflows,
    format string bugs, signedness issues and tempfile race conditions. Some
    of these might allow remote attackers to gain access to the UID under
    which snmpd is running. This update fixes all known problems and also
    makes the snmpd run as user 'nobody', reducing the impact of further
    problems.

     i386: Caldera
     ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/updates/eServer/2.3/current/RPMS
     RPMS/ucd-snmp-4.2.1-6b.i386.rpm
     cb200e856acac6bd14fec9eb67eabb14

     RPMS/ucd-snmp-devel-4.2.1-6b.i386.rpm
     0c8f8963ce490f80a47681996e9370ab

     RPMS/ucd-snmp-utils-4.2.1-6b.i386.rpm
     d584b6cd0b799b4b928dadce9f2ec058

     Caldera Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-1559.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  ipfw                           | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    ipfw is a system facility which allows IP packet filtering, redirecting,
    and traffic accounting.  ipfw `me' rules are filter rules that specify a
    source or destination address of `me', intended to match any IP address
    configured on a local interface.

     FreeBSD:
     ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/
     SA-01:53/ipfw.patch

     FreeBSD Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-1560.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   sdb                           | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Sdbsearch.cgi is Perl script which is part of the sdb package of SuSE
    Linux was found vulnerable by using untrustworthy client input
    (HTTP_REFERER).  By exploiting this trust an attacker could force the
    sdbsearch.cgi script to open a malicious keylist file which includes
    keywords and filenames.

     i386 Intel Platform:  SuSE-7.2
     ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/7.2/doc1/
     sdb-2001.5.15-6.noarch.rpm
     4230c06f2e703753e79ee0e50339567b

     SuSE Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-1561.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   gdm                           | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    A buffer overrun exists in the XDMCP handling code used in gdm.  By
    sending a properly crafted XDMCP message, it is possible for a remote
    attacker to execute arbitrary commands as root on the susceptible machine.
    By default, XDMCP is disabled in gdm.conf on Mandrake Linux.

     Mandrake Linux 8.0:
     8.0/RPMS/gdm-2.2.3.2-2.1mdk.i586.rpm
     41c178fc24d9acb2ead1438e837f0325

     http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ftp.php3

     Mandrake Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-1562.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   telnetd                       | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Due to incorrect bounds checking of data buffered for output to the remote
    client, an attacker can cause the telnetd process to overflow the buffer
    and crash, or execute arbitrary code as the user running telnetd, usually
    root. A valid user account and password is not required to exploit this
    vulnerability, only the ability to connect to a telnetd server.

     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY
     FreeBSD Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-1563.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   procfs                        | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Attackers may be able to extract sensitive system information, such as
    password hashes from the /etc/master.passwd file, from setuid or setgid
    processes, such as su(1).  This information could be used by attackers to
    escalate their privileges, possibly yielding root privileges on the local
    system.

     FreeBSD:
     ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/
     SA-01:55/procfs.patch

     FreeBSD Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-1564.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   openssl prng                  | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    The OpenSSL libcrypto includes a PRNG (pseudo random number generator)
    implementation.  The logic used for PRNG was not strong enough, and allows
    attackers to guess the internal state of the PRNG. Therefore, attackers
    can predict future PRNG output.

     NetBSD:
     ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/security/patches/
     SA2001-013-openssl-1.5.patch

     NetBSD Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-1565.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   dump                          | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    The dump(8) command (installed as /sbin/dump) and the dump_lfs(8) command
    (installed as /sbin/dump_lfs) are setgid tty.  dump(8) and dump_lfs(8) did
    not drop those setgid tty rights while performing functions other than
    those the rights were provided for, including execution of a user supplied
    RCMD_CMD environment variable.

     NetBSD:
     ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/security/patches/
     SA2001-014-dump-1.5.patch

     NetBSD Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-1566.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   sendmail                      | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Cade Cairns from Security Focus discovered an input validation error in
    sendmail's debugging functionality. The function that handles the "-d"
    command line option uses a signed integer for that value and uses it as an
    index to an internal vector. This function does not check for negative
    values of this index, which allows a local attacker to cause a signed
    integer overflow by supplying large numbers to this parameter which can be
    used to write data outside that vector.

     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY
     Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-1567.html

     SuSE Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-1568.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  tcp wrappers                   | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    An attacker that can influence the results of reverse DNS lookups can
    bypass certain tcp_wrappers PARANOID ACL restrictions by impersonating a
    trusted host.  Such an attacker would need to be able to spoof reverse DNS
    lookups, or more simply the attacker may be the administrator of the DNS
    zone including the IP address of the remote host.

     FreeBSD:
     ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/
     SA-01:56/tcp_wrappers.patch

     FreeBSD Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-1569.html