[ISN] Sudan Bank Hacked, Bin Laden Info Found - Hacker

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 05:21:14 PDT

    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/170588.html

    [I have held back on posting any of this crap from Kim Schmitz who
    claims this isn't a ploy for public relations, yet this is at least
    the third article I have seen about his antics and his $10 million
    reward for the capture of Usama bin Laden. Now he claims that he has
    information about bin Laden gained from anonymous UK hackers who have
    compromised the security of a Sudanese bank, if Mr. Schmitz is truly
    interested in helping in the war on terrorism I have a few ideas.

    Tell the hundreds if not, thousands of hackers that listen to him to
    not use hacking as a way to gain information on the Al-Qaeda network,
    I'm willing to bet one of Mr. Schmitz MegaCars that there are several
    government and military information operations teams already trying to
    do the same thing, letting the amateurs do this might hinder existing
    operations.

    Donate the some or all of the reward money to various charities, the
    International Red Cross could surely use whatever donations Mr.
    Schmitz has to offer, one of my favorite charities, The Special
    Operations Warrior Foundation ( http://www.specialops.org/ ) could
    also use any money donated. This war on terrorism is going to be a
    covert war, battled with the help of special operations teams, not
    fought in under 100 hours, with tanks storming through the desert,
    and CNN won't be around to cover most of it.

    The SOFW was founded in 1980 to serve members of the Special
    Operations community. A tax-exempt 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization,
    SOWF is dedicated to providing college scholarships, based upon need,
    and educational counseling to the children surviving Special
    Operations personnel killed in the line of duty. These services are
    provided throughout the United States, or overseas, depending upon
    where the surviving children reside.

    The Warrior Foundation estimates the over 375 SOF surviving children
    who will need our help will require an estimated outlay of $6.7
    million by 2010.

    Lastly, don't run off to the press with every new bit of information
    you discover if you decide that not to use these suggestions above, I
    know ISN subscribers personally who are working privately on this new
    war on terrorism, who are all very humble and when they do see
    something that doesn't look right, they're reporting this to the
    proper authorities, not calling their agency to issue new press
    releases.

    I hope with this article, and now rant, this is the last we hear of
    Mr. Schmitz's PR war on terrorism.  - William Knowles 9.28.01]

    -=-

    By Ned Stafford, Newsbytes
    MUNICH, GERMANY,
    27 Sep 2001, 2:46 PM CST

    A group of U.K.-based hackers has cracked computers at the AlShamal
    Islamic Bank in Sudan and collected data on the accounts of the Al
    Qaeda terrorist organization and its leader Osama bin Laden, Kim
    Schmitz, a flamboyant German hacker/businessman, has claimed.

    Schmitz, who has offered a $10 million reward for the capture of bin
    Laden, told Newsbytes that the information has been turned over to the
    FBI. Bin Laden, a millionaire Saudi exile whose base is now
    Afghanistan, is suspected of being the driving force behind the deadly
    Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon with
    hijacked planes.

    Newsbytes could not confirm Schmitz's claim. An FBI spokesman in
    Washington declined to confirm or deny the story, saying that the
    agency's policy is not to comment on information and leads it is
    receiving.

    "We have received a lot of information on this case," he told
    Newsbytes. "Of course we appreciate the leads we are receiving from
    the public, but we cannot confirm what specific information has been
    provided to us or by whom."

    Schmitz, 27, a former teen hacking prodigy who spent time behind bars
    before starting a successful data security business, has been accused
    of being press hungry. He says his recent strong anti-terrorism
    pronouncements are not a PR prank, but stem from his strong desire to
    wipe out terrorism. He says he has received death threats from the
    Middle East.

    The bank Schmitz claimed was hacked was mentioned Wednesday by Sen.
    Carl Levin, D-Mich. during a Senate Banking Committee hearing.
    According to CNN, Levin referred to a 1996 State Department report
    that said bin Laden had provided the AlShamal Islamic Bank with $50
    million in start-up capital.

    Schmitz told Newsbytes that he could not provide details about what
    hackers found in AlShamal Islamic Bank's computers or about the
    hackers themselves.

    Nonetheless, he provided Newsbytes with the following outline of what
    he says happened.

    Last week, Schmitz, who lives in Munich, posted letters on his Web
    site rallying politicians to the cause of fighting terrorism and
    offering his hacking expertise.

    "I received plenty of e-mails from hackers around the world offering
    their services," he said.

    Schmitz founded a group that numbers around 23 hackers called "Young
    Intelligent Hackers Against Terror." He calls the group YIHAT, which
    is similar to the word Jihad, which is Arabic for Holy War.

    Schmitz said that last Friday, a Sudanese banker sent the group an
    e-mail after reading about the $10 million reward, informing the group
    that Al Qaeda and bin Laden have accounts at AlShamal Islamic Bank.

    A team of U.K.-based hackers sprang into action, and hacked the
    nameserver of AlShamal Islamic Bank, he said. They were able to gain
    access to the bank's intranet by exploiting a "checkpoint firewall 1
    vulnerability," he explained.

    After bypassing the firewall, the hackers achieved "superuser" status
    on the server, and "sniffed" eight valid user IDs, and then were able
    to collect information on accounts of Al Qaeda and bin Laden.

    "This information was sent to the authorities in the USA," Schmitz
    said.

    Schmitz sent the following e-mail to the Webmaster at the AlShamal
    Islamic Bank:

    "dear webmaster of sudans shamalbank,

    "your bank has been hacked. information regarding Al Qaeda's and bin
    Ladens accounts have been captured. all information reached the US
    authorities. thanks for using products from checkpoint (firewall1).

    "have a nice day, Kim "Kimble" Schmitz, Founder of "Young Intelligent
    Hackers Against Terror" YIHAT"

    When asked which authorities received the information from the
    hackers, Schmitz said: "FBI."

    He said that authorities had not given the hackers a "green light" to
    undertake the hacking, that the group had done so on its own
    initiative.

    Schmitz said the U.K.-based hackers wish to remain anonymous.

    "I am the spokesperson of the group," he said. "They don't want to be
    involved with the press. What they do is illegal, unless we find a
    government that legalizes our activities."

    And somewhat mysteriously, he added: "If I would deliver details about
    the hacks, I could get arrested. I am not hacking myself, because that
    is illegal. I must keep myself out of the details to make sure that I
    am still able to offer them the communication platform they need to
    fight as united hackers of the world against terror."

    AlShamal Islamic Bank Home Page: http://www.shamalbank.com/

    Kim Schmitz's Personal Web Site: http://www.kimble.org/

    Schmitz Letter to governments around the world:
    http://www.kimble.org/urgent.htm

    Schmitz Reward For Osama Bin Laden:
    http://www.kimble.org/mostwanted.htm

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.