Re: [ISN] A TV Plea to Patriot Hackers

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 05:26:25 PDT

    Forwarded from: B.K. DeLong <bkdelongat_private>

    At 04:16 AM 09/27/2001 -0500, you wrote:
    > http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,47099,00.html
    >
    > By Brian McWilliams
    > 2:00 a.m. Sep. 26, 2001 PDT
    >
    > A new TV public service announcement targets U.S. computer
    > hacktivists with a blunt message: Uncle Sam wants you to help
    > fight the war on terrorism.

    This is an INCREDIBLY stupid move. Based on experience, we all know
    that these kids thrive on attention first, not some sort of misguided
    sense of patriotism. Putting out a spot like this to widely reach
    those script kiddies who might be doing said defacements will only
    serve to hit their need for attention. I can see it now:

    "Hey - we got our own TV commercial! Let's go out and do some mad
    defacements to see if they'll mention us more!"

    This, of course, was further proved during the "Wag the Delio"
    incident when Michelle Delio from Wired News proceeded to interview a
    no-name Chinese script kiddie who said all the hackers in the whole
    country of China were against the US resulting in prolonging what
    could have been a several day defacement incident rather then a
    multiple week spree.

    --
    B.K. DeLong
    bkdelongat_private

    http://www.brain-stream.com               Play.
    http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org        Potter.
    http://www.attrition.org                       Security.
    http://www.artemisiabotanicals.com     Herb.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.