RE: [ISN] E-BOMB

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 03:16:54 PDT

    Forwarded from: Steven Hess <s_hessat_private>

    [This is the last posting on the E-Bomb thread.  -  WK]

    The technology looks like the same as for lightning protection. I
    think the protection would be similar.

    Lightning does damage not only by striking the component electrical
    path, but by generating the same kind of high strength EMP - the bolt
    is comprised of several strokes, and each one generates EMF lines of
    force. When these moving fields cut through a conductor, a (lower
    voltage) is generated in the conductor, perhaps spikes of several
    hundred volts or so.

    The current state of lighting protection is to :
    1. shunt spikes to ground on conductors with MOSFET or similar
    variable semiconductors. (you see a cheap version in a surge
    supressed power strip)
    2. ground chassis and cases to isolate from EMP and arcs.
    3. Signal isolation via fiber optic.
    4. Star Grounding system to prevent conductance between different
    ground systems. (Racks should be grounded on a separate system from
    AC electrical grounds, and should be bonded only at the
    Ground/Neutral connection point).

    The "faraday cage" mentioned is the same as placing equipment in a
    grounded case, with the exception that the cage has "holes" in it
    that depending on frequency, offer a path for the cage to leak RF in.
    The cage should work, though better than a grounded case if the
    following is true - If the EMP pulse is very low frequency, and the
    Faraday cage is made up of higher current carrying capability. We use
    different kinds of grounding depending on what is to be shunted, four
    ought cable for low frequency, copper flashing for high frequency.

    My experience is with Television Broadcast towers and transmitters,
    and the associated broadcast equipment, which get hit with lightning
    a lot. Most of the damaged systems are not struck directly, but
    surged on their power, data, video, audio, or phone connections. A
    UPS can help, if it incorporates surge supression, and it isolates
    the power from the line. Phone line supressors work to a certain
    extent, but nothing I have found keeps everything working all the
    time - even the fiber optic units can sacrifice themselves on the
    "outside" connection.

    Steven Hess
    Assistant Chief Engineer
    WTTA TV Tampa
    (lightning capital of the world - no kidding)

    -