[ISN] Re: [DMCA_discuss] Linux kernel security fixes censored by the DMCA

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 02:36:53 PST

    Forwarded from: Felix von Leitner <leitnerat_private>
    Cc: DMCA_discussat_private

    Thus spake InfoSec News (isnat_private):

    > I was walking through the "why would linux security patches
    > constitute a DMCA risk" logic and this was I came up with.

    This is interesting.

    > (c) dissemination of that "device... or component thereof" -- i.e.
    > any demo code or documentation sufficient to reproduce that crack

    > QED -- the next time Alan visits the US, the FBI could visit him
    > if he does (c).

    He already does.  The patches to Linux that fix the problem are enough
    to document the problem.  That, in effect, makes fixing security bugs
    in open source software illegal in the USA.  Think about it!

    > This of course brings me back to my initial worry.... just how are
    > we supposed to get our jobs done without legal liability and risk
    > of felony charges.

    Not at all.  DMCA has do die a quick and painful death.

    Felix

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.