RE: [ISN] Comment: Hacking is not terrorism

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 02:52:54 PST

    Forwarded from: The Unknown Security Person

    [Just a quick note, I know that there alot of folks on this list that
    would love to comment on news here, but don't like the idea of having
    their name connected to the mail. Be it you're a .gov, .mil, the views
    are that of yourself and not the company, but you still don't want to
    be a hitting the unemployement lines, I understand. Post something,
    and make it clear to me that you don't want your name connected, and I
    will give you some nice psuedonym like this party above. Comments?
    complaints, my feelings about feeling my first noticeable earthquake?
    you should know my e-mail addy by now.  :)   - WK]

    You said it!  [...a French cheese maker. It's funny! It's not
    terrifying, and that's what most hacking is like...] Right, most [not
    all] hacking is like that.  To my knowledge/experience, the agony and
    the fear of hacking on the both national and personal interests could
    be beyond fraud or abuse matter in many cases.

    The same criminal behavior we saw on the 911, how the terrorist
    utilized our resources against us, a modification of the destination
    can be a horrifying event.  A B-52 target bin laden's head (he doesn't
    deserve his name to be capitalized) but it could bomb our living rooms
    instead.

    An identity theft case isn't what you like to be experienced in your
    lifetime.  I feel that I am only worth as much as what my credit
    rating is for many strangers and I can only hold my life style at that
    rating level. My credit is ruin and my resources consumed more than I
    can afford by a hacking instance.  It was over 2 years ago, I still
    have the same fear/nightmare that what if someone still manipulates my
    personal information and acts as me. Isn't it a type of feeling of
    terror?

    Yep, most likely hacking wouldn't kill you with bombs or bullets.
    But it would cost you more than money and/or make you angry.  It will
    torture your mind and will question your integrity.  The question is
    that where we should draw a line between frauds and terrorism in
    hacking.  Should we draw the line at the national interest level and
    ignore our identities (after all, it could be just you and me)?

    I wonder whoever hacked a French cheese market would never ever hack
    again. Better yet, he/she wouldn't ever hack any of 'the critical
    national infrastructures.' How about instead of all the wondering, we
    take hacking darn seriously and say, "it is about time we equate
    hackers with terrorists."

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.