Re: [ISN] US to yank Kevin Mitnick's radio license

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 00:35:29 PST

    Forwarded from: Robert G. Ferrell <rferrellat_private>

    > Mitnick's had a ham radio license for about 25 years, and he
    > applied two years ago for what's normally a routine renewal. He's
    > not accused of making any illicit radio transmissions or any
    > offenses that fall under the FCC's jurisdiction -- it's just that
    > official Washington firmly believes computer hacking must be an
    > unforgivable venal sin.

    Sometimes when I look at the government and its treatment of people
    like Kevin, I get the unmistakable impression that I've seen this
    behavior somewhere before, but I can't quite put my finger on where.
    Today, it finally dawned on me.

    I have four cats (it's okay--I live on 44 acres in Texas, not in an
    efficiency apartment in Queens).  Two of them are males, and two
    females.  The oldest female has assumed, much to her chagrin, the role
    of 'lowest creature on the food chain' in the local feline dynasty.
    What this means is that any time one of the cats is disciplined, the
    hapless female eventually gets the worst of it because all of the
    other cats take it out on her. This is an application of the
    'trickle-down' principle, but in her case it's more of a
    'flash-flood.'

    The point to this story (yes, there is a point), is that Mitnick seems
    to be the lowest creature on the government's food chain.  Whenever
    some adverse event occurs for which the government can't immediately
    get satisfaction, it works out its anger by attacking Kevin or someone
    like him.  As long as one arm of the government (the courts) is
    responsible for deciding whether or not another arm of that same
    government (FCC, et al.) is allowed to abuse what were once Mitnick's
    rights, this sort of thing will continue unchecked.

    Sorry about that, Kevin.  I guess it sucks to be you.  If it helps, my
    cat usually gives herself a bath to work out the pent-up frustration
    of being dumped on. At least you'll be one clean whipping boy.

    ;-)

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.