[ISN] Security consultant finds plenty of holes to plug

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 00:49:55 PST

    http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/073824.htm

    BY MARTIN J. MOYLAN
    Saint Paul Pioneer Press
    Dec. 24, 2001

    SAINT PAUL, Minn. -- Cruising about the Twin Cities, with his wireless
    laptop on the seat next to him, Brad Rubin can see one business
    opportunity after another pop up on his computer screen.

    His laptop, hooked to a homemade antenna housed in a Pringles can,
    runs sniffer software that detects wireless networks, even those
    people have tried to hide. Many are not protected by encryption,
    making it easy for someone with a wireless modem to plug into them and
    snoop -- or worse, Rubin says.

    After nearly 20 years of working in the information technology arena
    in the corporate world, Rubin is trying to establish himself as an
    independent computer security consultant.

    With all the concerns these days about data security and privacy,
    corporate espionage, cyber-vandalism and, possibly, cyber-terrorism,
    the outlook is good for the information security market, he expects.
    And he sees wireless security, in particular, as a solid foundation
    for a business.

    ``Wireless vulnerabilities have only recently started to receive
    national attention,'' he says.

    Many businesses and consumers are connecting their computers with
    wireless networks. Especially popular are 802.11b (Wi-Fi) networks
    because they're easy to set up and use.

    Yet many businesses and consumers don't turn on the encryption systems
    meant to thwart most snoops. Even when they do turn on built-in
    encryption programs, skilled hackers may quickly get past them.

    ``I can take a look from the outside, through the eyes of a cracker,
    for vulnerabilities,'' Rubin says. ``When people get firewalls, they
    think they've done what they're supposed to do. But they're (often)
    not sure what they look like from the outside world.''

    On a recent half-hour drive around downtown St. Paul and Minneapolis,
    Rubin detected 24 wireless networks. Only 14 had encryption turned on.

    In addition to advising companies about the deployment of new wireless
    network and security of existing ones, Rubin also sees opportunities
    in computer forensics, divining what has been done with computers and
    files produced on them.

    Companies like to address some issues, such as the theft of trade
    secrets, quietly, he notes. And police generally don't make
    investigation of white-collar crimes a priority.

    ``Computers are increasingly used in crimes, and companies need
    someone they can turn to other than law enforcement,'' he says.

    Rubin says his experience in the corporate world prepared him well for
    his career change.

    For 15 years, he worked for IBM in Rochester, focusing on projects
    involving IBM's AS/400 servers. He also led the development of a major
    IBM Java software program. For the past three years, he was chief
    technology officer for Imation data storage division and led its R&D
    team.

    ``I wanted to take what I've learned about technology, marketing and
    sales and combine it,'' he says. ``Now, I get to explore fun stuff
    like this (ferreting out vulnerable wireless networks) and turn it
    into money.''

    His part-time teaching job at the University of Minnesota's Institute
    of Technology and his children, ages 8 and 11, also make work
    flexibility and minimal travel important. With Imation, he was often
    on the road.

    His biggest challenge is getting potential employers to notice him.

    ``I have to try to communicate the services I offer and the
    capabilities I have to the right decision-makers in the Twin Cities --
    without a big marketing budget,'' he says.

    He does have the prerequisite Web site (www.BradRubin.com). In his
    first three months as a consultant, he's landed several jobs through
    the Gerson Lehrman Group, which matches IT consultants with mutual
    fund firms.

    Companies with and without their own IT staff would find it worthwhile
    to have outside eyes cast on their computer security efforts, Rubin
    says. That's evident from all the open wireless networks he's finding.

    ``For companies that outsource their IT, it's even more important that
    they verify they're getting appropriate security,'' he says.

    He sees most of his competition coming from consulting firms, such as
    Anderson Consulting, which have security practices. He figures he can
    undercut their prices. But he won't rule out partnerships with them.

    He knows many execs at those consulting firms through his work at IBM
    and Imation.

    Rubin managed his savings and investments so that he can take some
    time to establish himself as a consultant.

    ``A lot of people start out undercapitalized and don't pay attention
    to keeping new business in the pipeline,'' he says. ``A lot of
    consultants market themselves too broadly. Instead of being very clear
    and specific about the services they offer, which tends to get better
    results, they market themselves as jacks-of-all-trades. My goal is to
    have the greatest expertise in wireless security in the Twin Cities.
    And I'm giving myself one year to achieve success.''

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.