[ISN] MITNICK, et al

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 22:13:02 PST

    Forwarded from: Bill Schneid <SleuthOneat_private>

    Josh,

    My "Op-Ed" posting was not meant to be a thesis on the juvenile
    offender and their propensity for certain behavior.

    I could have bored the forum "to death."

    Society has long condemned the offender--even by forever black marking
    someone's "record" -if ONLY an arrest.

    Of course times have changed.  I remember using a pocket calculator
    instead of a slide rule and getting a "F" for using a "cheating
    device."

    Getting back to point:  Mitnick was/is the martyr for many.
    So-called "cybercrime" is still costing industry/govt billions and we
    are as ill-equipped to deal with the cyber-offender as we are with the
    drug-offender and we've had drug offenders around since the early
    1900's.

    This is still the wild-wild west for law enforcement (yes, that
    includes criminologists) and the learning curve is lousey at best.

    Criminologists, by definition, deal with the so-called "criminal mind"
    and the "penal systems"--hardly a pure science.

    As to "digging up shit on you"--we only work when we get paid!

    Bill Schneid, Ph.D.
    Criminologist
    Director of Special Operations
    GLOBAL  PROJECTS, LTD.
    Investigative Research Analysts
    "tempus omnia revelat"

    P.S.

    A professor friend said, on dealing with idiots: "One of the greatest
    lessons I can teach you is this: Don't wrestle with pigs. You get
    muddy, sweaty, tired, mad, covered with crap, and when you're done the
    pig loved it anyway."

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.