Re: [ISN] [infowarrior] - Comments on Recent Security Legislation Proposals

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 00:34:00 PST

    Forwarded from: H C <keydet89at_private>
    CC: rfornoat_private,

    rf,

    I read your column back in Dec, and I found your follow-on comments
    equally interesting...

    > Our elected leaders sound like a bunch of uninformed cable news
    > analysts with their constant use of 'cyber' buzzwords

    Where do you think our elected 'leaders' are getting
    the buzzwords...from the uninformed media, silly!

    > 'Cybersecurity' is a meaningless term that tells me that nine times
    > out of ten, the person saying it has little or no understanding of
    > information assurance practices.

    Your point being?  It's intuitively obvious to the most casual
    observer that our 'leaders' really have no idea regarding security
    practices.

    > Note both of these proposed Acts throw large money for research and
    > long-term analysis of security-related problems. It seems to me
    > there's more money being spent analyzing our problems than actually
    > addressing them, even though we already KNOW what (and where) the
    > problems are!

    Exactly!  We know what the problems are, and we know that the words of
    various people and groups bent on correcting the problem have fallen
    on deaf and impotent ears.

    Standing up yet another group of academics and 'leaders' to take a
    look at long-term solutions to security problems...solutions we
    already have in hand...is going to be as ineffective as the Senate
    hearings we've already endured.  Or as lips on chickens.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.