Re: [ISN] Deciphering the hacker myth

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 22:45:11 PST

    Forwarded from: Aj Effin Reznor <ajat_private>

    "InfoSec News was known to say....."

    > http://news.com.com/2008-1082-829812.html
    >
    > By Rachel Konrad
    > Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    > February 5, 2002, 12:00 PM PT
    >
    > Newsmakers - Sarah Gordon doesn't dye her hair black or wear a nose
    > ring, and neither do the people she studies.

    Wow, I've never seen an entire subculture so rapidly reduced to a
    formulaic equation in such a short exspanse of words!

    It seems as tho much confusion exists within the researcher between
    hackers, crackers, virus writers, and any true criminal subsets of
    those classes, as well as the existant ignorance that many people
    straddle lines between two or even three of those classifications!

    I once said something to the effect of "I just love labels, it makes
    pigeonholing people so much easier without taking the effort of
    actually getting to know them."  I feel that applies to this article.

    And I personally feel it'd be criminal to waste any more words on such
    rubbish.

    -aj.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.