RE: [ISN] Digital Destruction Was Worst Imaginable

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 01:54:38 PST

    Forwarded from: Rob Rosenberger <junkmailat_private>

      >>Im not quite sure what kind of critical infrastructure
      >>protection you think the FBI or NIPC would have been
      >>able to carry out.  It seems highly unlikely that anyone
      >>would have been able to do anything.

    An excellent point, Brooks.  I don't fault the CIA just because they
    didn't know enough beforehand.  Nor do I fault overtaxed FBI agents
    who didn't know enough beforehand.

    I *do* fault FBI NIPC for strutting on the media stage, telling
    reporters how Osama would attack us by computer and focusing an
    overwhelming majority of their resources in that area because it made
    for great PR.  Clinton's vaunted "PDD 63" tasked them to protect the
    critical infrastructures from Osama bin Laden ... but FBI NIPC was too
    busy looking for Osama bin Virus.

    Thankfully -- and I mean "thankfully" without sarcasm here -- it only
    cost roughly 3,000 lives before FBI finally gave NIPC director Ron
    Dick the tools he needed to overcome his agency's infatuation with the
    Internet.

    (Notice I didn't say "infatuation with protecting the Internet."  FBI
    NIPC and the Pentagon will run like helpless damsels to the antivirus
    industry if a virus war ever breaks out between the U.S. and China.
    But that's another story.)

    Rob

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.