[ISN] Theft of N.S. auditor general's laptop poses possible security breach

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 00:19:33 PST

    http://www.canoe.ca/AtlanticTicker/CANOE-wire.NS-Auditor-Theft.html

    March 14, 2002

    HALIFAX (CP) -- A laptop computer belonging to Auditor General Roy
    Salmon was stolen from his home last week, raising concerns about a
    possible security breach within his office.

    The computer, which was taken March 7, contained e-mails between
    Salmon and his staff, and correspondence with other auditors general
    across the country.

    "I would be sensitive to it becoming public, but I guess I feel the
    chances of that happening are relatively slim," Salmon told ATV News
    on Thursday.

    The computer was equipped with protective software that requires
    knowledge of a password to gain access to the information.

    But if the laptop gets in the hands of a hacker, the auditor's office
    could be vulnerable to a security breach.

    "If they got in they'd have access to our servers, which would have
    all of our audit files on them," Salmon said.

    The robbery occurred at Salmon's Dartmouth, N.S., home while he and
    his wife were vacationing.

    The thief or thieves also made off with Salmon's new $23,000 car,
    which had just 1,500 kilometres on it, and some jewelry.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.