[ISN] MS vs. open source: Security's the same

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 23:02:32 PST

    http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2857736,00.html

    By Wayne Rash
    March 25, 2002
    wrashat_private

    I already know that you're going to hate what I have to say. You'll no
    doubt send me strongly worded e-mails. Fine. We have a tough bunch
    here at ZDNet, and we can take it.

    When you read about the security problems of some open source
    applications and operating systems, some of you have nodded
    approvingly, and muttered words that sound a lot like "I told you so."
    Let's face it, all the smugness about the superiority of open source
    code has been pretty hard to take.

    Of course, the open source people claim that such charges simply
    aren't true. They say open source products are better because more
    people work on them and then distribute the patches--meaning that
    security holes get fixed right away. Microsoft, as the leading vendor
    of proprietary software, claims the same thing.

    The fact is, both sides have their share of problems--but neither side
    has the edge when it comes to fixing security holes. You're just as
    likely to encounter a security problem with open source code as you
    are with Microsoft Windows, and the fix is just as likely to appear
    quickly and be done properly.

    Normally, this is the point where Microsoft gets trashed for its
    seemingly endless list of security patches for Windows. That's not
    going to happen here. Yes, Microsoft does have a long list of security
    issues for which it has issued patches. But the fact that those
    patches exist means somebody in Microsoft is making sure those fixes
    are made.

    According to Steve Lipner, Microsoft's Director of Security Assurance,
    the company's Security Response Team operates seven days a week and
    has been known to issue patches to Windows security within hours of
    finding out about a problem. This sounds pretty responsive to me,
    certainly as responsive as the open-source solution to fixes--hoping
    someone steps up to the plate, creates a fix, and makes it available.

    The problems with security are not greater or fewer with Microsoft's
    code versus open source. They're just different. Want another opinion?
    In the FBI's ongoing list of the top 20 security problems, the number
    of Windows and open-source problems are about equal. The bottom line
    is that you should choose your OS or Web server software by how well
    it meets your needs--because these days, security really isn't the
    differentiating factor.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.