[ISN] Security Excuses are on the Rocks

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 23:29:07 PST

    Forwarded from: Elyn Wollensky <elynat_private>

    http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=706&a=24507,00.asp

    By Peter Coffee
    March 25, 2002

    Welcome to "stupid customers," the saga of IT vendors' ongoing
    attempts to blame the victim. This week, we honor Jim Balsillie,
    chairman and CEO of Research In Motion, who commented earlier this
    month on the intrinsic insecurity of Internet traffic—and why it's not
    his company's fault that people don't understand it.

    Balsillie was asked about an attack discovered by @Stake that enabled
    researchers to read wireless messages intended for a user of the
    Internet Edition of RIM's popular BlackBerry device. He huffed and he
    puffed and he blew the question down, saying, "Internet traffic isn't
    supposed to be secure. ... It's kind of like a company making beer and
    cola and someone saying that there's alcohol in the company's drinks,
    when the children are drinking cola."

    Well, no, it's really not like that, and IT executives need to
    understand why that's a deeply flawed analogy.

    First comes the matter of labeling. Alcoholic beverages are labeled
    and sold in a manner that leaves no doubt as to what you're getting,
    with full disclosure of the harm that it can do: birth defects,
    impairment of driving ability and long-term health problems.

    Even my Nokia phone displays the warning "Voice privacy not active"
    for the duration of my call unless link security is in effect. That's
    far more forceful than RIM's approach of warning by omission, with RIM
    executives saying that security was never promised or that the Mobitex
    specification makes it all clear.

    Second comes the matter of expectation. Beer ads don't show Boy Scouts
    drinking the product - but we see the RIM advertisements in in-flight
    magazines and elsewhere, and they don't show people relying on their
    BlackBerry units for updates on their local coffee shop's waiting
    times. The RIM ads all suggest that these devices will warn you of
    crucial business developments, such as changes to a proposed contract
    or other urgent matters. Don't such important purposes call for secure
    message platforms?

    Alcohol labels and advertising rules aren't voluntary. Would IT
    vendors like to have legislators do the same for them?

    Report your pink elephant sightings to peter_coffeeat_private

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.