[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - March 29th 2002

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 23:54:16 PST

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
    |  March 29st, 2002                         Volume 3, Number 13a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
                   daveat_private     benat_private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week. It
    includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for zlib, php, mtr, squid, analog, and
    imlib.  The vendors include Conectiva, Debian, FreeBSD, and Red Hat.  If
    you have not had a chance to download the LinuxSecurity quick reference
    card, it is available at the following URL:

      http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

    FEATURE: Dsniff 'n the Mirror - This is a practical step by step guide
    showing how to use Dsniff, MRTG, IP Flow Meter, Tcpdump, NTOP, and Ngrep,
    and others. It also provides a discussion of how and why we should monitor
    network traffic.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/dsniff-monitoring.html

    Performance and Stability meet Security - EnGarde has everything necessary
    to create thousands of virtual Web sites, manage e-mail, DNS, firewalling
    database functions for an entire organization, and supports high-speed
    broadband connections all using a Web-based front-end. EnGarde Secure
    Professional provides those features and more!

      --> http://store.guardiandigital.com/html/eng/promo.shtml

    +---------------------------------+
    |  zlibs                          | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    It is also possible that an attacker could manage a more significant
    exploit, since the result of a double free is the corruption of the
    malloc() implementation's data structures. This could include running
    arbitrary code on local or remote systems.

     Red Hat Update:
     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-1989.html

     FreeBSD Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-1994.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  php                            | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    PHP is an HTML-embeddable scripting language.  A number of flaws have been
    found in the way PHP handles multipart/form-data POST requests.  Each of
    these flaws could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code on the
    remote system.

     Red Hat:

     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-1990.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  mtr                            | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    The authors of mtr released a new upstream version, noting a
    non-exploitable buffer overflow in their ChangeLog.  Przemyslaw Frasunek,
    however, found an easy way to exploit this bug, which allows an attacker
    to gain access to the raw socket, which makes IP spoofing and other
    malicious network activity possible.

     Debian Intel ia32 architecture:
     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/
     binary-i386/mtr_0.41-6_i386.deb

     MD5 checksum: 4ba7815729e243669e8d825f5b8373a2
     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-1991.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  squid                          | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    A security issue has recently been found and fixed in the Squid-2.X
    releases up to and including 2.4.STABLE4.  Error and boundary conditions
    were not checked when handling compressed DNS answer messages in the
    internal DNS code (lib/rfc1035.c).  A malicous DNS server could craft a
    DNS reply that causes Squid to exit with a SIGSEGV.

     Squid:
     http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.4/

     Squid Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-1992.html

     FreeBSD Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-1995.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  analog                         | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    It is easy for an attacker to insert arbitrary strings into any web server
    logfile.  If these strings are then analysed by analog, they can appear in
    the report.  By this means an attacker can introduce arbitrary Javascript
    code, for example, into an analog report produced by someone else and read
    by a third person. Analog already attempted to encode unsafe characters to
    avoid this type of attack, but the conversion was incomplete.

     Debian Intel ia32 architecture:
     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/
     binary-i386/analog_5.22-0potato1_i386.deb

     MD5 checksum: 6ffd39c59948d83d2a7fd890be846360
     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-1996.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  imlib                          | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Alan Cox discovered some situations where a heap corruption[1] may occur
    when processing some malformed image. Al Viro found that imlib was falling
    back to the NetPBM library[2] when processing some kind of images, but
    NetPBM is not suitable to process untrusted image input. An attacker could
    use a crafted image to exploit a program linked to imlib (like a mailer
    program or an image viewer) and cause a DoS or even remote code execution.

     Conectiva:
     ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/7.0/RPMS/
     imlib-1.9.13-1U70_1cl.i386.rpm

     ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/7.0/RPMS/
     imlib-cfgeditor-1.9.13-1U70_1cl.i386.rpm

     ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/7.0/RPMS/
     imlib-devel-1.9.13-1U70_1cl.i386.rpm

     ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/7.0/RPMS
     /imlib-devel-static-1.9.13-1U70_1cl.i386.rpm

     Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-1997.html