[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - April 5th 2002

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 22:26:50 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
    |  April 5th, 2002                          Volume 3, Number 14a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
                   daveat_private     benat_private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week. It
    includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for the Linux kernel, openssh, cups,
    nscd, kde, squid, mod_ssl, XFree86, rsync, and zlib.  The vendors include
    Caldera and Conectiva. Caldera users especially should pay particular
    close attention to this newsletter.  A total of nine specific Caldera
    advisories were released this week.

    --> Performance and Stability meet Security

    EnGarde has everything necessary to create thousands of virtual Web sites,
    manage e-mail, DNS, firewalling database functions for an entire
    organization, and supports high-speed broadband connections all using a
    Web-based front-end. EnGarde Secure Professional provides those features
    and more!

      http://store.guardiandigital.com/html/eng/promo1.shtml

    Dsniff 'n the Mirror - This is a practical step by step guide showing how
    to use Dsniff, MRTG, IP Flow Meter, Tcpdump, NTOP, and Ngrep, and others.
    It also provides a discussion of how and why we should monitor network
    traffic.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/dsniff-monitoring.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  Linux kernel                   | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    In case of excessively long path names d_path kernel internal function
    returns truncated trailing components of a path name instead of an error
    value. As this function is called by getcwd(2) system call and
    do_proc_readlink() function, false information may be returned to
    user-space processes.

     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY
     Linux kernel Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-1999.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  openssh                        | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    A bug exists in the channel code of OpenSSH versions 2.0 though 3.0.2.
    Existing users can use this bug to gain root privileges. The ability to
    exploit this vulnerability without an existing user account has not yet
    been proven, but it is considered possible. A malicious ssh server could
    also use this bug to exploit a connecting vulnerable client.

     Caldera OpenLinux Server:
     ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1/Server/current/RPMS

     RPMS/openssh-2.9p2-5.i386.rpm
     f628846edca7e40cebf0174d4a02abb9

     Caldera Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-2000.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  cups                           | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    The authors of CUPS, the Common UNIX Printing System, have found a
    potential buffer overflow bug in the code of the CUPS daemon where it
    reads the names of attributes.

     Caldera OpenLinux Sever:

    ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1.1/Server/current/RPMS

     RPMS/cups-1.1.10-5.i386.rpm
     54c460f1858c9ae1d3c4057812825cbd

     RPMS/cups-client-1.1.10-5.i386.rpm
     1caf530d29b5387d2da32e2bc31340c7

     RPMS/cups-devel-1.1.10-5.i386.rpm
     45b44112561c92cfbb7e8bd11840697e

     RPMS/cups-ppd-1.1.10-5.i386.rpm
     13cbec00ffd614f696f905c35ed63b7b

     Caldera Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-2002.html

     Conectiva:
     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY

     Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2007.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  nscd                           | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    The Name Service Cache Daemon (nscd)  has a default behavior that does not
    allow applications to validate DNS "PTR" records against "A" records.  In
    particular, nscd caches a request for a "PTR" record, and when a request
    comes later for the "A"  record, nscd simply divulges the information from
    the cached "PTR"  record, instead of querying the authoritative DNS for
    the "A" record.

     Caldera Open Linux:
     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

     Caldera Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-2001.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  kde                            | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    In OpenLinux 3.1.1, the startkde script will set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    environment variable to " /opt/kde2/lib:" which includes the current
    working directory in the library search path. This exposes users to shared
    library attacks.

     Caldera OpenLinux:
     ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1.1/
     Server/current/RPMS

     ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1.1/
     Workstation/current/RPMS
     RPMS/kdeconfig-20011203-2.i386.rpm
     080998dc9e5fc03b7b20f3644ae8b31b

     Caldera Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-2003.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  squid                          | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    If certain constructed ftp:// style URL's are received, then squid
    crashes, causing a denial of service and possibly remote execution of
    code.

     Caldera OpenLinux:

    ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1.1/Server/current/RPMS

     RPMS/squid-2.4.STABLE2-3.i386.rpm
     29ca65972c56e9a35a2181ce75bf23a2

     Caldera Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-2004.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  mod_ssl                        | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    modssl uses underlying OpenSSL routines in a manner which could cause a
    buffer overflow.

     Caldera OpenLinux:

    ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1.1/Server/current/RPMS

     RPMS/mod_ssl-2.8.5_1.3.22-2.i386.rpm
     64223d2995fd5501b440d14d9af35359

     RPMS/mod_ssl-sxnet-2.8.5_1.3.22-2.i386.rpm
     f45c83a03d7fa38825645d551d5a1489

     Caldera Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-2005.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  XFree86                        | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Any user with local X access can exploit the MIT-SHM extension and gain
    read/write access to any shared memory segment on the system.

     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-2006.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  rsync                          | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Supplementary groups to which the rsync daemon belongs (such as root) were
    not removed from the server process before it performed work as an
    unprivileged uid and gid. The rsync daemon was also compiled with a
    vulnerable version of the zlib library. This package corrects both these
    issues.

     Caldera OpenLinux:
     ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1.1/
     Server/current/RPMS

     rsync-2.5.0-5.i386.rpm
     2c8f978df12dabf073361c86f7012210

     Caldera Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-2008.html

    +---------------------------------+

    CERT CA-2002-07: There is a bug in the zlib compression library that may
    manifest itself as a vulnerability in programs that are linked with zlib.
    This may allow an attacker to conduct a denial-of-service attack, gather
    information, or execute arbitrary code.

     Caldera OpenLinux:
     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY

     Candera Vendor Advisory: