[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - April 12th 2002

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 00:58:58 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
    |  April 12th, 2002                         Volume 3, Number 15a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
                   daveat_private     benat_private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.It
    includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for logwatch, ucdsnmp, IMP/HORDE,
    tcpdump, mail, and rshd.  The vendors include OpenBSD, Red Hat, and SuSE.

    --> Performance and Stability meet Security

    EnGarde has everything necessary to create thousands of virtual Web sites,
    manage e-mail, DNS, firewalling database functions for an entire
    organization, and supports high-speed broadband connections all using a
    Web-based front-end. EnGarde Secure Professional provides those features
    and more!

      http://store.guardiandigital.com/html/eng/promo1.shtml

    Linux Security Quick-Start Guide - This document, written by Hal Burgiss,
    is an introductory level document that provides the information necessary
    for inexperienced Linux users to secure their machine.

     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/LDP/Security-Quickstart-HOWTO/index.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  logwatch                       | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Updated LogWatch packages are available that fix tmp file race conditions
    which can cause a local user to gain root privileges.

     Red Hat: noarch:
     ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os/
     noarch/logwatch-2.6-1.noarch.rpm

     ac8ea7498a2d6b14bb325a511cf8ba6b

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2011.html

     Red Hat Powertools Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2012.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  ucdsnmp                        | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Several bugs could be triggered in the ucd-snmpd code by using this
    testing suite. These bugs lead to remote denial-of-service attacks and may
    possibly exploited to break system security remotely.

     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY

     SuSE Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-2013.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  IMP/HORDE                      | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    The Horde team announces the availability of IMP 2.2.8, which prevents
    some potential cross-site scripting (CSS) attacks.  Site administrators
    should consider upgrading to IMP 3 (our first recommendation), but if this
    is not possible, IMP 2.2.8 should be used to prevent these potential
    attacks.

     ftp://ftp.horde.org/pub/imp/
     horde-1.2.8.tar.gz
     96ae6dcf03cab2637c14c13d556049e0

     imp-2.2.8.tar.gz
     9f0e442f61ce542b945016bee2736d2f

     patch-horde-1.2.7-1.2.8.gz
     daa3f4f3821036d7ef47205dc2c7922c

     patch-imp-2.2.7-2.2.8.gz
     f3ee21b6b5e40516d46cef955f29e034

     Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2014.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  tcpdump                        | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Updated tcpdump, libpcap, and arpwatch packages are available for Red Hat
    Linux 6.2 and 7.x. These updates close vulnerabilities present in versions
    of tcpdump up to 3.5.1 and various other bugs.

     Red Hat 7.2 i386:
     ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os/i386/
     tcpdump-3.6.2-10.7x.i386.rpm
     064982643eaa2f6a19a318e0c50f2b84

     ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os/i386/
     libpcap-0.6.2-10.7x.i386.rpm
     a00187999381db2a22dadc1a1f1ebca9

     ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os/i386/
     arpwatch-2.1a11-10.7x.i386.rpm
     b456a14d95d7fdf36f00ef0f41ebc1f4

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2015.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  mail (OpenBSD)                 | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    OpenBSD 3.0 and 2.9 contain a potential localhost root compromise, found
    by Milos Urbanek.  Earlier versions of OpenBSD are not affected. The
    mail(1) program will process tilde escapes even when it is not in
    interactive mode.  Since mail(1) is called by the default cron(8) jobs,
    this can lead to a localhost root compromise.

     Patch for OpenBSD 3.0:
     ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/
     patches/3.0/common/018_mail.patch

     Patch for OpenBSD 2.9:
     ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/2.9/common/023_mail.patch

     OpenBSD Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/openbsd_advisory-2017.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  rshd (OpenBSD)                 | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Under certain conditions, on systems using YP with netgroups in the
    password database, it is possible for the rshd(8) and rexecd(8) daemons to
    execute the shell from a different user's password entry. Due to a similar
    problem, atrun(8) may change to the wrong home directory when running
    at(1) jobs.  This only affects OpenBSD 3.0. Prior versions of OpenBSD are
    not affected.  The following patch has been in the 3.0-stable branch for
    some time:

     OpenBSD
     ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/3.0/common/016_approval.patch

     OpenBSD Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/openbsd_advisory-2016.html