[ISN] Q&A: Microsoft Senior VP Paul Flessner on Trustworthy Computing

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 00:33:43 PDT

    http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO70176,00.html

    [Flessner dances around the questions in classic Microsoft fashion,
    which begs the question why he was being interviewed in the first
    place. From the sound of the article, I'd be willing to bet Microsoft
    has hired more food service employees in the timeframe that
    "Trustworthy Computing" became a real issue than security people  - WK]

    By CAROL SLIWA
    April 15, 2002

    Paul Flessner, senior vice president of Microsoft Corp.'s .Net
    Enterprise Server group, talked about the company's ongoing
    Trustworthy Computing initiative during an interview late last week.
    Excerpts follow:

    Q: Can you discuss the impact of Microsoft's intensive security
    initiative on your product group?

    A: The security effort overall is in a couple dimensions. One, it's
    about education to the development teams. ... [Two], it's about a
    thorough review of the code. ...

    So the Windows team and the SQL Server team and the Exchange team and
    the e-business types and SMS management teams have all been through
    this process of training, code review. And now it's about how things
    are going to roll out and what fixes go where and how we're going to
    back-level some and how many just go forward, how many break
    compatibility. There's a lot of work and focus on that. ...

    Threat analysis is a big deal. ... It's one thing to be secure where
    people are supposed to come in. You know, do you have the right
    authentication? Do you have the right privileges? Do you belong to a
    group? That sort of thing. And I think we're pretty good at that
    today, and I think a lot of people and a lot of different systems are
    pretty good at that.

    It's this 'I didn't intend you to come in there,' and finding all of
    those and fixing them. That's the more complicated job. And we're
    doing a lot of stuff in that respect.

    We work with customers. We see how people get in, and we use that to
    make the fixes. We do analysis there. We're hiring outside experts to
    do threat modeling and threat analysis. We're building our own teams
    internally to do threat modeling and analysis.

    It's hard stuff. It actually takes a special kind of person who thinks
    ... out of the box. You really do want a very chaotic thinker. You
    don't want an analytical person to do it. It's a very different
    mind-set, because they have to be very generative in their thinking
    and think chaotically, and they kind of go at it like that. And then
    there's more structured analysis that comes after that.

    Q: Have you had to make any staffing shifts or changes because of the
    need for that type of person?

    A: We are hiring those people, if you can find them. They're very hard
    to find. We are trying to train internally people to start to think
    chaotically, if you can do that.

    Q: Were those the same internal people who were doing the security
    before?

    A: We're definitely supplementing with more people that think that
    way. A lot of the security people we had were the guys that were
    locking the doors and windows -- you know, the places where people
    were supposed to come in. And now we're having to supplement with
    these people that understand threat analysis better and think about
    chimneys and plumbing.

    Q: Where have you found them? Have you been hiring them from outside
    companies? Talking to young hackers?

    A: Yeah. We've talked to all of the above. And there are people that
    try to make a living in this space, consulting firms who do that. We
    do watch who's doing what and try to talk to them. There are people
    that kind of advertise themselves this way, and you talk to them.

    Coming out of school sometimes, there are people that just have a huge
    interest in this space. It's actually an area of research that's not
    well explored yet today, and we're talking to the research community
    about it.

    Q: How many people have you hired so far?