Re: [ISN] We're Watching You

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 02:17:46 PDT

    Forwarded from: Justin Lundy <jblat_private>

    Raytheon developed SilentRunner directly after a programmer named
    "bind" published his open-source "siphon" project on the Internet two
    years ago. The siphon software passively mapped networks (see where
    the SilentRunner name comes from?) to generate OS fingerprints for all
    hosts that were a source of traffic. This also included a list of all
    open ports on the machines. Newer versions, and the development
    versions contain a greatly expanded list of useful features.

    Raytheon was seen reading the siphon material and downloading the
    software several times from several different machines on their
    network for months. The passive network mapping concept is definately
    not worth trademarking, patenting, copyrighting, or
    sevicemarking--because it is so simple. If you want this same
    functionality for FREE, hire a consultant that understands how to
    open-source operate protocol analyzers such as tcpdump, ngrep, or
    ethereal. Or download siphon[1].

    Having worked in the computer industry for a while, nothing sickens me
    more than a constant supply of low-quality, small-scope software that
    was written in a week and sells for rediculous amounts of money. If
    you would like to see where this concept was originally and publicly
    implemented, see siphon[1]. Bind presented at Blackhat USA 2001 on the
    concept. And please, before you encourage "commercial industry
    experts" by purchasing their BS; look around at the FREE alternatives
    first.

    [1] http://www.insidiae.org/projects/siphon/

    If you would like a more in depth explanation, feel free to contact me
    via email directly. If I see another defense contractor scam companies
    by selling trash like this, I will vomit on their marketing material
    and physically mail it back to them. If anyone from Raytheon threatens
    me as a result of this email, I would like to remind them that this
    was an expression of my opinion and experience in dealing with such
    software vendors; and as such is protected by the First Ammendment.

    -jbl

    --
    ---=[ Practice is not a matter of years and months. It is concentration. ]=--
    ---=[ Email: jblat_private o0o Web: http://www.subterrain.net/~jbl/ ]=--

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.