Re: [ISN] Teen Hacker Packs Feminist Punch

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 02:15:08 PDT

    Forwarded from: Ben Greenbaum <bgreenbaumat_private>
    Cc: rferrellat_private

    > Forwarded from: rferrellat_private

    (excerpt)

    > They're simply giving themselves a psychological boost at the
    > expense of others.
    >
    > Another word for this sort of behavior is terrorism, <snip>

    I have a lot of respect for Mr. Ferrell, but at this point I have to
    call shenanigans...

    Merriam-Webster defines terrorism as "the systematic use of terror
    especially as a means of coercion". The American HeritageŽ Dictionary
    of the English Language, Fourth Edition defines it as "The unlawful
    use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized
    group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or
    coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political
    reasons." Nowhere could I find a definition of terrorism that included
    "annoying people by messing with their mp3 files."

    We need to be careful to be precise in our usage of emotionally loaded
    terms, lest our entire industry become equated with FUD. We need to
    refrain from calling things by names which they aren't. Bronchitis is
    bad. Bronchitis is not cancer. Viruses are bad.  Viruses in general
    are not terrorism.

    Ben Greenbaum
    Director of Product Development - SIA/VDB
    SecurityFocus
    http://www.securityfocus.com

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.