[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - June 7th 2002

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 03:10:45 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
    |  June 7th, 2002                           Volume 3, Number 23a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
                   daveat_private     benat_private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week. It
    includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for tcpdump, uucp, ethereal, dhcp,
    bind, mailman, Conectiva's kernel, imap, nss_ldap, ghostscript, and xchat.
    The vendors include Caldera, Conecitva, Debian, EnGarde, Mandrake, Red
    Hat, SuSE, Trustix, and Yellow Dog.

    FEATURE: Flying Pigs: Snorting Next Generation Secure Remote Log Servers
    over TCP:

    A Comprehensive Guide to Building Encrypted, Secure Remote Syslog-ng
    Servers with the Snort Intrusion Detection System.

       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/snortlog-part1.html

    ** Build Complete Internet Presence Quickly and Securely! **

    EnGarde Secure Linux has everything necessary to create thousands of
    virtual Web sites, manage e-mail, DNS, firewalling, and database functions
    for an entire organization, all using a secure Web-based front-end.
    Engineered to be secure and easy to use!

     --> http://www.guardiandigital.com/promo/ls230502.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   tcpdump                       | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    The tcpdump program is vulnerable to several buffer overflows, the most
    serious of which are problems with the decoding of AFS RPC packets and the
    handling of malformed NFS packets. These may allow a remote attacker to
    cause arbitrary instructions to be executed with the privileges of the
    tcpdump process (usually root).

     Caldera OpenLinux 3.1.1 Server
     ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1.1/
     Server/current/RPMS/
     tcpdump-3.6.2-2.i386.rpm
     86ebdc7304a9474350d6347de67cd801

     Caldera Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-2114.html

     Conectiva:
     ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/8/RPMS/
     tcpdump-3.6.2-3U8_2cl.i386.rpm

     Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2113.html

     Trustix:
     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

     Trustix Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2116.html

     Yellow Dog:
     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

     Yellow Dog Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2123.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  uucp                           | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    We have received reports that in.uucpd, an authentication agent in the
    uucp package, does not properly terminate certain long input strings. This
    has been corrected in uucp package version 1.06.1-11potato3 for Debian 2.2
    (potato) and in version 1.06.1-18 for the upcoming (woody) release.

     Debian: Intel IA-32 architecture:
     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/
     uucp_1.06.1-11potato3_i386.deb
     MD5 checksum: 26f22db0eeed4cabad46861112d94d47

     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2104.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   ethereal                      | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Ethereal versions prior to 0.9.3 were vulnerable to an allocation error in
    the ASN.1 parser. This can be triggered when analyzing traffic using the
    SNMP, LDAP, COPS, or Kerberos protocols in ethereal. This vulnerability
    was announced in the ethereal security advisory.

     Debian: Intel IA-32 architecture:
     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/
     ethereal_0.8.0-3potato_i386.deb
     MD5 checksum: cf6925bce3de49332f93105ac801be31

     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2105.html

     Yellow Dog Linux:
     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

     Yellow Dog Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2127.html

     Red Hat Linux 7.3: i386:
     ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/
     ethereal-0.9.4-0.7.3.0.i386.rpm
     52a3074dea1e4e9563558e523a659bc5

     ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/
     ethereal-gnome-0.9.4-0.7.3.0.i386.rpm
     1650416f14b9f6a7cb15aa2f38f20bf4

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2119.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  dhcp                           | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Fermin J. Serna discovered a problem in the dhcp server and client package
    from versions 3.0 to 3.0.1rc8, which are affected by a format string
    vulnerability that can be exploited remotely.  By default, these versions
    of DHCP are compiled with the dns update feature enabled, which allows
    DHCP to update DNS records.  The code that logs this update has an
    exploitable format string vulnerability; the update message can contain
    data provided by the attacker, such as a hostname.

     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

     Mandrake Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-2110.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   bind                          | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    A vulnerability was discovered in the BIND9 DNS server in versions prior
    to 9.2.1.  An error condition will trigger the shutdown of the server when
    the rdataset parameter to the dns_message_findtype() function in message.c
    is not NULL as expected. This condition causes the server to assert an
    error message and shutdown the BIND server.  The error condition can be
    remotely exploited by a special DNS packet.

     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

     Mandrake Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-2112.html

     Yellow Dog Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2126.html

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2109.html

     SuSE Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-2115.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   mailman                       | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Barry A. Warsaw announced[2] a new version of mailman that fixes two cross
    site scripting vulnerabilities. According to this announcement, "office"
    reported such a vulnerability in the login page, and Tristan Roddis
    reported one in the Pipermail index summaries.

     Conectiva:
     ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/8/RPMS/
     mailman-2.0.11-1U8_1cl.i386.rpm

     Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2111.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  Conectiva kernel               | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    It is recommended that all users upgrade the kernel.

     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2117.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   imap                          | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    There is a buffer overflow vulnerability in imap which can allow a remote,
    authenticated user to execute commands as the user under which imapd is
    running.

     EnGarde:
     i386/imap-2000c-1.0.23.i386.rpm
     MD5 Sum: abb2189c4168ef80dc7a1884af3bac05

     i386/imap-2000c-1.0.23.i686.rpm
     MD5 Sum: 3c6b50e75b8f09ebe5e97b71e94117d5

     EnGarde Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2120.html

     Yellow Dog Linux:

     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2121.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |   nss_ldap                      | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    The pam_ldap module provides authentication for user access to a system by
    consulting a directory using LDAP. Versions of pam_ldap prior to version
    144 include a format string bug in the logging function. The packages
    included in this erratum update pam_ldap to version 144, fixing this bug.

     Yellow Dog Linux:
     ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/
     updates/yellowdog-2.2/ppc/
     ppc/authconfig-4.1.19.2-1.ppc.rpm
     bcc6a0ebe130c633592ee0dcd4c356df

     ppc/nss_ldap-189-2.ppc.rpm
     79268cb16005e49a206e4bea975ba890

     Yellow Dog Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2122.html

     Red Hat Linux 7.3: i386:
     ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/
     nss_ldap-189-2.i386.rpm
     d2b2402e6c59f886556872d6b2bc2f16

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2106.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  ghostscript                    | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    "Ghostscript is a program for displaying PostScript files or printing them
    to non-PostScript printers. An untrusted PostScript file can cause
    ghostscript to execute arbitrary commands due to insufficient checking.
    Since ghostscript is often used during the course of printing a document
    (and is run as user 'lp'), all users should install these fixed packages.

     Yellow Dog Linux:
     ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/
     updates/yellowdog-2.2/ppc/
     ppc/printconf-0.3.61-4.1.ppc.rpm
     ddc5d90a8b44b383ae7f25493823eee6

     ppc/printconf-gui-0.3.61-4.1.ppc.rpm
     984c9d6813af85e8b124e0f9f709ec4f

     ppc/ghostscript-6.51-16.2a.ppc.rpm
     ba63816e522739225663943ef901705b

     Yellow Dog Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2124.html

     Red Hat Linux 7.3: i386:
     ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/
     ghostscript-6.52-9.4.i386.rpm

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2108.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  xchat                          | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Versions of XChat prior to 1.8.9 do not filter the response from an IRC
    server when a /dns query is executed. Because XChat resolves hostnames by
    passing the configured resolver and hostname to a shell, an IRC server may
    return a maliciously formatted response that executes arbitrary commands
    with the privileges of the user running XChat.

     Yellow Dog Linux:
     ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/
     updates/yellowdog-2.2/ppc/
     ppc/xchat-1.8.9-2a.ppc.rpm
     d3d8742b3eb43b9a39f0c439b1f7b560

     Yellow Dog Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2125.html

     Red Hat Linux 7.3: i386:
     ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/
     xchat-1.8.9-1.73.0.i386.rpm
     bc85e6662044a386ce35b472635444fa

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2107.html