Re: [ISN] Ultimate Computer Security Devices

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 01:04:43 PDT

    Forwarded from: H C <keydet89at_private>

    When I worked at Winstar, someone from another department set up a
    mantrap w/ a retinal scanner to protect the tech center...a data
    center that housed all servers using for billing, etc.  The mantrap
    was demonstrated one day, and several people went back and forth
    successfully (they had already been enrolled).  Then the elevator
    arrived (we were on the second floor), and the mantrap failed
    closed...the enrolled user was not authenticated and the mantrap
    locked.  It turns out that the magnetic field generated by the
    arriving elevator was enough to play havok w/ the mantrap's
    systems...which had been installed directly adjacent to the
    elevators...

    --- InfoSec News <isnat_private> wrote:
    > Forwarded from: Thomas Roy Garner
    > <trgarneat_private>
    >
    > Your article regarding eye scanners reminds me of the eye scanner we
    > use @ work.  Now, remember, this only applies to the eye-scanner we
    > use, other systems may differ:
    >
    > Drink caffeine or sugar drinks prior to using our eye scanner, you
    > can be perfectly still, yet the response is often "contact security
    > manager" or "moved to much".  This is usually fun around 0700 or
    > 0800, when just about everyone has had their 1st or 2nd cup of
    > coffee or soda!
    >
    > Frustration of personnel using device, to simply NOT use the device,
    > after all, if I can ring the door and the personnel on the inside,
    > let me in, why use the scanner in the first place?

    [...]

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.