[ISN] Web site exposes credit card fraud

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 02:30:02 PDT

    Forwarded from: "Stanislav N. Vardomskiy" <stanyat_private>

    It seems that overall the issue is about trust.  Do you trust the vendor
    you buy your computer hardware from?  Do you trust the waiter as you pay
    you bill?  Do you trust CardCops?

    http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/06/26/identity.theft.ap/index.html

    WASHINGTON (AP) -- An anti-fraud education group that tipped federal
    authorities to a major Internet credit card scheme has opened a Web
    site that will let Americans check to see if their card numbers are in
    the hands of thieves.

    The database of stolen credit card numbers, which became available on
    the Web late Tuesday, was created over the last seven weeks and has
    already identified nearly 100,000 credit card numbers, the group said.

    The group, CardCops, collected the information from Internet chat
    rooms where thieves have been checking whether stolen card numbers are
    still good to use or have been deactivated.

    The group alerted the Secret Service to the scheme and turned over its
    database to investigators. It then decided to create the Web site so
    Americans can check their numbers and possibly prevent fraudulent
    charges.

    "We're creating a situation where Joe Consumer can check his card on
    the Internet to see if it's been possibly abused," said Dan Clements,
    founder of CardCops.

    Cardholders can check their numbers by going to
    http://www.Cardcops.com and typing in the number. If it comes back
    positive, cardholders should alert their financial institution.

    CardCops say they have secured the database, and as an extra
    precaution it is asking cardholders who check their numbers not to
    enter the expiration date that is ordinarily required to complete a
    purchase.

    [...]

    Signed:
    //Stany
    --
    +-------+ Stanislav N Vardomskiy - Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis[TM] +-------+
    | "Backups we have; it's restores that we find tricky." Richard Letts at ASR  |

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.