Re: [ISN] Web site exposes credit card fraud

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 04:40:17 PDT

    Forwarded from: Mark Baldwin <mbaldwinat_private>

    Is this for real?  First of all, their certificate was not issued by a
    known CA.  Secondly, I am supposed to enter my card number and then
    they tell me if it has been stolen or not?  If it wasn't already, it
    probably will be after using this web site.  Call me paranoid, I but
    say no thanks.

    Mark...
    --
    Mark A. Baldwin				Director of Information Systems
    OPNET Technologies			http://opnet.com

    InfoSec News wrote:

    > Forwarded from: "Stanislav N. Vardomskiy" <stanyat_private>
    >
    > It seems that overall the issue is about trust.  Do you trust the vendor
    > you buy your computer hardware from?  Do you trust the waiter as you pay
    > you bill?  Do you trust CardCops?
    >

    > http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/06/26/identity.theft.ap/index.html
    >
    > WASHINGTON (AP) -- An anti-fraud education group that tipped federal
    > authorities to a major Internet credit card scheme has opened a Web
    > site that will let Americans check to see if their card numbers are in
    > the hands of thieves.
    >
    > The database of stolen credit card numbers, which became available on
    > the Web late Tuesday, was created over the last seven weeks and has
    > already identified nearly 100,000 credit card numbers, the group said.
    >
    > The group, CardCops, collected the information from Internet chat
    > rooms where thieves have been checking whether stolen card numbers are
    > still good to use or have been deactivated.
    >
    > The group alerted the Secret Service to the scheme and turned over its
    > database to investigators. It then decided to create the Web site so
    > Americans can check their numbers and possibly prevent fraudulent
    > charges.

    [...]

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.