RE: [ISN] Firewall installed to prevent hacking

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 23:29:57 PST

    Forwarded from: "Moyer, Shawn" <SMoyerat_private>

    Um, so how would a f/w prevent the mail service from getting 0wned?
    SMTP by definition would generally be publically accessible, so...
    Wouldn't the "unidentified hacker" just hit the box again, and maybe
    have to get as tricky as <gasp!> a reverse tunnel to get back to the
    box? Wow, sounds positively ironclad to me! A better story for Sandy
    Wall to report on: "Greene County officials defrauded by vendor's
    defective e-mail software". ;)

    --shawn

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.