Re: [ISN] Why I should have the right to kill a malicious process on your machine

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 00:57:49 PST

    Forwarded from: "Bill Scherr IV, GSEC, GCIA" <bschnzlat_private>

    See DIB:S

    http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/IRIA/projects/dibs/

    It reports.  It does not send anything to the offending source!  Give
    it a chance before we go spreading more "attacks" across the internet.

    My $0.02

    On 18 Jan 2003 at 3:26, InfoSec News wrote:

    > Right- my problem here is the reaction time frame- Let's say we've
    > got all of our neutralizing bots deployed world-wide; when SlapperII
    > hits, we've got to get all the IR and code guys on it pronto so they
    > can present vector and neutralization options.  We've got to get the
    > standards body to make an informed decision on if/how to apply
    > neutralization measures, and then deploy the updates to the field
    > units.  Case-by-case ISP analysis won't cut it.  They'll be flooded
    > before they can get a single phone call off...
    >
    > But, that is still something to consider.

    Bill Scherr IV, GSEC, GCIA
    EWA / Information & Infrastructure Technologies
    National Guard Regional Technology Center / Norwich Campus
    Northfield, VT  05663
    802-485-1962

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.