[ISN] $1 Million hacking contest in danger

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 00:32:32 PST

    Forwarded from: H VC <overclocking_a_la_abuelaat_private>

    [Lack of a lab around here, let alone the Alphashield product doesn't
    allow us to test the validity of the information below, so with that,
    your mileage may vary.  - WK]

    Hi,

    My name is Hugo Vázquez Caramés I´m a Security Analyst from Barcelona
    Spain.  Here you have something that can be of your interest: the most
    expected hacking contest is in danger. The "unhackable" Saafnet´s
    AlphaShield device has been proved to be vulnerable to many attacks
    that could allow bypassing it´s protection.
    http://online.securityfocus.com/bid/6637 The next paper is a
    description of how we broke this device.

    Sincerely,

    Hugo Vázquez Caramés

    ************** ALPHASHIELD SECURITY TEST *************
    **************     INFOHACKING 2002      *************

    Recently we got a demo unit of Saafnet´s AlphaShield device for evaluation
    purposes. This device comes with some (not very much) technical
    documentation, most of it lauding the AlphaShield features.

    Due to the interest of some media on the contest being organized, in which
    Saafnet will be ready to pay a million of dollars to anyone who prove that
    his device is not so safe as they claim to be, we decided to give a chance
    to the AlphaShield and started to test it at our labs.

    Firt of all we opened the device to see what it has got inside (there`s not
    public information on this), and we could realize that the chipset was
    entirely been tampered and painted with a black enamel in order to
    hide the kind of hardware being used. It taked us five minutes to remove so
    hard protection. This are the chips used:

    -3 Realtek´s RTL8019 (used in ethernet interfaces)
    -1 Ubicom´s  SX52BD

    After some searching for information of the "sx52bd" we found this: "The
    Ubicom SX48BD/SX52BD/SX52BD75/SX52BD100 are
    members of the SX family of configurable communications a RISC-based
    architecture, allows high-speed computation, flexible I/O control, and
    efficient data manipulation." We could quicky see that there was not so much
    memory available (no RAM modules...), so probably it would be difficult to
    this device to track user sessions, at least in a serious way. In fact, the
    AlphaShield does something similar to connections tracking but in a
    stateless way.

    To decide if an incoming packet belongs to a valid session started from the
    client, the AlphaShield does this:

    -for TCP/UDP connections: it keeps track on source/destination ports and
    IP´s, but doen´t matter about sequence numbers.
    -for ICMP: on the specific case of echo_request/echo_reply (PING), it only
    looks for the source IP of the echo_reply.
    -for ARP: all "ARP replys" and "ARP Requests" are allowed.

    This filtering way is not effective, moreover if we consider that the
    AlphaShield stores the source/destination IP´s and ports of any new socket,
    and it will allow any future incoming/outgoing packet matching those IP´s
    and ports. This "packet injection" could be done because of the stateless
    tracking method implemented (AlphaShield doesn´t look the
    SYN/ACK/FYN/RST...), so it never knows if a connection is still active or
    has been closed by any of the two end points.

    The tests were done on a ethernet environment as showed below:

    Attacker----Swicth-----AlphaShield-----Protected_PC (target)
    172.26.0.x				172.26.0.y

    The target machine was running a sniffer in order to see all the packets
    received. On the attacker machine we used the well known software "hping2"
    as packet generator.

    -TCP test: a) target machine connects with telnet to a telnet server on the
    Internet, then it closes the connection. b) attacker machine sends this
    packets: source_IP=telnet_server, destination_IP=target,
    source_port=23,destination_port=port_from_wich_target_originated_the_connection.
    Result: AlphaShield allows the incoming packets and we can see them with the
    sniffer on the target machine. No matter if the sent packet by the attacker
    had the SYN/ACK... flag activated, it was allowed.

    -UDP test: a) target machine does a DNS query (UDP) to a nameserver on the
    Internet. b) attacker machine sends this packets: source_IP=DNS_server,
    destination_IP=target, source_port=53,
    destination_port=port_from_wich_target_originated_the_connection. Result:
    AlphaShield allows the incoming packets and we can see them with the sniffer
    on the target machine.

    -ICMP test: a) target machine does a ping (echo_request/echo_reply) to a
    server on the Internet. b) attacker machine sends ICMP´s (echo_reply) with
    source_address=server, destination_address=target. Result: AlphaShield
    allows the incoming packets and we can see them with the sniffer on the
    target machine.

    -ARP test (with "arpoison"): a) attacker machine sends "ARP replys" to the
    target machine. It doesn´t matter the source IP, MAC... Result: AlphaShield
    allows the incoming packets and we can see them with the sniffer on the
    target machine. All incoming broadcast "ARP request" are also allowed. An
    ARP spoofing attack could be done easily. All the target traffic could be
    redirected to the attacker machine. (This is not an AlphaShield flaw, but it
    shows the danger of allowing incoming ARP packets without any kind of
    checking.

    We have to notice that most of the attacks described above are only possible
    in those scenarios were the target has a routable IP address from the
    attacker machine. But in the worst case (target machine with private address
    and attacker from the Internet with public address), the responsable of
    stopping such attacks would be the forwarding/natting device in front of the
    AlphaShield and not the AlphaShield itself, so it does not apply to the goal
    of this paper: the analisys of the AlphaShield.

    With this paper we would like to show real vulnerabilities on the Saafnet
    AlphaShield device that can be exploited remotely.
    We would like also to notice that we don´t trust the planned contest by
    Saafnet because we think that probably it will not be done in a real
    enviroment (a real user working in the protected machine). Probably Saafnet
    is not going to pay anyone proving that his device is not working as
    expected,...

    Hugo Vázquez Caramés & Toni Cortés Martínez
    INFOHACKING TEAM
    www.infohacking.com
    Barcelona
    Spain

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.