Re: [ISN] Mitnick Banned From Security Group

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 00:49:02 PST

    Forwarded from: Tom Perrine <tepat_private>

        IN> Forwarded from: "Robert G. Ferrell" <rgferrellat_private>
        IN> At 03:33 AM 2/13/03 -0600, InfoSec News wrote:

        >> It didn't last long. Mitnick's password was quickly revoked, and a
        >> few days later he received a letter in certified mail from the
        >> ISSA's headquarters informing him that news of his acceptance was
        >> greatly exaggerated. "The ISSA has determined that your past
        >> behavior does not comply with the ISSA Code of Ethics, therefore we
        >> cannot accept your application at this time," reads the unsigned
        >> letter.

    OK, at what point does a person who has been convicted, and served
    their time, get "rehabilitated"?  Even a convicted felon gets their
    civil rights back at some point, right?

        IN> This is just a shot in the dark, but I'll betcha if we exposed all the
        IN> ISSA's members to the same level of scrutiny that Kevin's past has
        IN> received, there'd be a lot more of these letters sent out.

    I'm not an ISSA member, but I would welcome this kind of scrutiny for
    their members, and the members of some other organizations.  The stuff
    I've seen proposed by people with "ISSA", and "CISSP" after their name
    has sometimes been, "interesting".  The ligetimacy that these
    organizations and certifications are intended to confer on their
    members/recipients deserves more scrutiny.

    --
    Tom E. Perrine <tepat_private> | San Diego Supercomputer Center
    http://www.sdsc.edu/~tep/     |

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.