[ISN] Network Associates to buy IntruVert for $100 million

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 02:14:25 PST

    http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0402intru.html

    By Ellen Messmer
    Network World Fusion
    04/02/03

    Network Associates said it has entered into an agreement to purchase
    IntruVert Networks for $100 million in cash, an acquisition that will
    give NAI a line of products as well as underlying technology for
    intrusion prevention.

    The deal, expected to be approved by regulatory authorities in about
    45 days, will bring privately held IntruVert, which makes the
    IntruShield 4000 and IntruShield 2600 appliances, into the NAI fold.
    It also puts a nail in the coffin of the strategic technology
    relationship that began last May between NAI and Internet Security
    Systems.

    At that time, NAI executives said the company intended to add ISS
    intrusion-detection technology to NAI's high-speed Sniffer
    traffic-analysis product by mid-year. But slow progress raised doubts
    about the effort, and NAI executives a month ago acknowledged they
    were looking at alternatives.

    This week, it's IntruVert in and ISS out.

    "We will not move forward with ISS in Sniffer," said Sandra England,
    NAI executive vice president of corporate development and strategic
    research. She added that she sees "no real application for [the ISS]
    technology in our portfolio going forward."

    IntruVert's technology focus is on intrusion-prevention, which entails
    not just detecting attacks, but blocking them. The IntruVert product
    line can be used as a passive intrusion-detection system, just
    watching and reporting, or it can be used in the intrusion-prevention
    mode of blocking a perceived attack.

    IntruVert competes against products from Enterasys Networks, ISS,
    Intrusion Inc., TippingPoint, and Recourse Technologies, which was
    just bought by NAI archrival Symantec.

    Corporate interest in using intrusion-prevention systems (IPS) is
    growing as these in-line products improve their speed, accuracy and
    fail-over capabilities, but many network managers are still reluctant
    to actively block traffic, concerned that legitimate traffic may be
    blocked by mistake.

    While NAI is not going forward with the plans to add ISS intrusion
    detection to Sniffer, it may look at adding IntruVert's
    intrusion-prevention capabilities to Sniffer, though not by mid-year.

    "We felt that in order to fulfill our vision to our customers, we need
    to own the technology," says England. "And we feel the market is
    moving from intrusion detection to prevention."

    The $100 million deal with IntruVert may not be the last acquisition
    NAI will make to buy its way into some cutting-edge technologies it
    decided it won't develop in-house; NAI is still shopping around for
    host-based intrusion-prevention, which blocks attacks on servers or
    desktops.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.