RE: [Full-Disclosure] RE: [ISN] DARPA pulls OpenBSD funding

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 06:51:25 PDT

    There's a difference in an indiviidual taking a stand on an issue, and a
    gov agency as a whole body taking a political stance.  Politically, these
    year 2000+ times have the potential to make some of the indiscresions of
    the FBI and other alphabet agencies from the 1960's look minor in
    comparison.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Paul Schmehl wrote:

    > Somehow I think Theo will find some way to get the project done.  He was
    > doing fine before the DARPA project.
    >
    > I do find it interesting that you characterize Theo as "expressing his
    > views" yet you characterize DARPA as "politicizing a technical project".
    > Weren't they both doing the same thing?  Why the difference in the
    > characterization?
    >
    > --On Saturday, April 19, 2003 09:10:53 AM -0500 Curt Purdy
    > <purdyat_private> wrote:
    >
    > > Unfortunately, one of the things that seems to have been overlooked in
    > > this political discussion, which I believe does not have a place in this
    > > technical forum, is that a great and sorely needed project is in jeopardy.
    > > OpenBSD is generally considered one of the most secure network operating
    > > systems available today, and that is even before the recent announcement
    > > of the new resistance, if not vulnerability to buffer overflows which can
    > > be considered the holy grail of programming.
    > >
    > > Whether you feel da Raadt was wrong for expressing his views on peace, or
    > > that DARPA was wrong for politicizing a technical project, the point here
    > > should be that the entire technical world is the loser...
    >
    > Paul Schmehl (paulsat_private)
    > Adjunct Information Security Officer
    > The University of Texas at Dallas
    > AVIEN Founding Member
    > http://www.utdallas.edu
    > Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    > Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.