RE: [Full-Disclosure] RE: [ISN] DARPA pulls OpenBSD funding

From: Paul Schmehl (paulsat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 09:21:34 PDT

    Somehow I think Theo will find some way to get the project done.  He was
    doing fine before the DARPA project.

    I do find it interesting that you characterize Theo as "expressing his
    views" yet you characterize DARPA as "politicizing a technical project".
    Weren't they both doing the same thing?  Why the difference in the
    characterization?

    --On Saturday, April 19, 2003 09:10:53 AM -0500 Curt Purdy
    <purdyat_private> wrote:

    > Unfortunately, one of the things that seems to have been overlooked in
    > this political discussion, which I believe does not have a place in this
    > technical forum, is that a great and sorely needed project is in jeopardy.
    > OpenBSD is generally considered one of the most secure network operating
    > systems available today, and that is even before the recent announcement
    > of the new resistance, if not vulnerability to buffer overflows which can
    > be considered the holy grail of programming.
    >
    > Whether you feel da Raadt was wrong for expressing his views on peace, or
    > that DARPA was wrong for politicizing a technical project, the point here
    > should be that the entire technical world is the loser...

    Paul Schmehl (paulsat_private)
    Adjunct Information Security Officer
    The University of Texas at Dallas
    AVIEN Founding Member