[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - June 20th 2003

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 00:59:05 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
    |  June 20th, 2002                          Volume 4, Number 24a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
                   daveat_private     benat_private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.
    It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for apache2, webmin, mikmod,
    typespeed, noweb, jnethack, ethereal, lprng, gzip, man, kon2, ghostscript,
    cups, gzip, BitchX, Xpdf, kernel, and mgetty.  The distributors include
    Conectiva, Debian, Gentoo, Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, SuSe, and
    TurboLinux.  Like last week, many of the advisories are fixes to older
    issues and minor problems. The Gentoo and Debian security teams were most
    active.

    Recently, there has been a lot of noise in the community about Gartner's
    latest report (Information Security Hype Cycle) suggesting that IDS
    technology fails to provide value relative to its costs and "will be
    obsolete by 2005."  The report indicates that IDS' do not add an extra of
    security and they are a product of vendor puffery. Gartner's
    recommendation is to direct any budgeted IDS funds into better firewalls.

    "Functionality is moving into firewalls, which will perform deep packet
    inspection for content and malicious traffic blocking, as well as
    antivirus activities."  According to the research, IDS technology fails
    because the typical IT department does not have the resources to sift
    through all of the false positives and false negatives generated by normal
    traffic.  If you've ever administered an IDS, I'm sure that you would
    agree with that.  One conclusion that I have made over the past few years
    is that an IDS is not for the faint of heart.  To reap benefit, a very
    skilled administrator is required and onethat has the ability to write
    custom signatures and configure in such a way that false
    positives/negatives can be minimized.

    Although this may be considered my <SOAPBOX> topic, I feel compelled to
    mention it.  <SOAPBOX> No matter how many intrusion detection/prevention
    systems, firewalls, scanners, and applications are installed to improve
    security, systems will ultimately remain insecure until sysadmins start
    regularly patching vulnerabilities in a timely matter.  I find it
    appalling that scriptkiddies are able to find an insecure application
    fingerprint, search on Google to find vulnerable hosts, then exploit it.
    Negligence is the greatest cause of problems today. </SOAPBOX> I apologize
    for lecturing, it is the "don't care" mindset that frustrates me.

    The ironic part about all of this is that if you're reading this, you
    probably agree with me and your systems are up-to-date. Education and
    awareness are very important.  One must realize that there is no magic
    bullet.

    Until next time,
    Benjamin D. Thomas
    benat_private

    >> FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte <<
    Are you worried about your web server security?  Click here to get
    a FREE Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your
    Apache SSL security needs.

     Click Command:
     http://gothawte.com/rd763.html

    FEATURE: Real-Time Alerting with Snort
    Real-time alerting is a feature of an IDS or any other monitoring
    application that notifies a person of an event in an acceptably short
    amount of time. The amount of time that is acceptable is different for
    every person.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-144.html

    * Comprehensive SPAM Protection! - Guardian Digital's Secure Mail Suite is
    unparalleled in security, ease of management, and features. Open source
    technology constantly adapts to new threats. Email firewall, simplified
    administration, automatically updated.

     --> http://guardiandigital.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=mailnews2

    LINSECURITY.COM FEATURE:
    Intrusion Detection Systems: An Introduction
    By: Alberto Gonzalez

    Intrusion Detection is the process and methodology of inspecting data for
    malicious, inaccurate or anomalous activity. At the most basic levels
    there are two forms of Intrusion Detection Systems that you will
    encounter: Host and Network based.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-143.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/17/2003 - apache2
       arbitrary command execution vulnerability

       The APR library contains a vulnerability in the apr_psprintf()
       function which could be used to make apache reference invalid
       memory.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-3366.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/16/2003 - lyskom-server denial of service vulnerability
       arbitrary command execution vulnerability

       Calle Dybedahl discovered a bug in lyskom-server which could
       result in a denial of service where an unauthenticated user could
       cause the server to become unresponsive as it processes a large
       query.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3360.html

     6/16/2003 - webmin
       session ID spoofing vulnerability

       miniserv.pl in the webmin package does not properly handle
       metacharacters, such as line feeds and carriage returns, in
       Base64-encoded strings used in Basic authentication.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3361.html

     6/16/2003 - mikmod
       buffer overflow vulnerability

       Ingo Saitz discovered a bug in mikmod whereby a long filename
       inside an archive file can overflow a buffer when the archive is
       being read by mikmod.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3362.html

     6/16/2003 - radiusd-cistron buffer overflow vulnerability
       buffer overflow vulnerability

       radiusd-cistron contains a bug allowing a buffer overflow when a
       long NAS-Port attribute is received.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3363.html

     6/17/2003 - typespeed
       buffer overflow vulnerability

       radiusd-cistron contains a bug allowing a buffer overflow when a
       long NAS-Port attribute is received.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3367.html

     6/17/2003 - noweb
       insecure tmp file vulnerability

       Jakob Lell discovered a bug in the 'noroff' script included in
       noweb whereby a temporary file was created insecurely.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3368.html

     6/18/2003 - jnethack
       Multiple vulnerabilities

       Multiple vulnerabilities including a buffer overflow and potential
       malicious code execution vulnerabilities have been fixed.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3376.html

     6/18/2003 - ethereal
       Multiple remote vulnerabilities

       Multiple vulnerabilities including a buffer overflow and potential
       malicious code execution vulnerabilities have been fixed.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3377.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/14/2003 - lprng
       Symlink attack

       Multiple vulnerabilities including a buffer overflow and potential
       malicious code execution vulnerabilities have been fixed.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3355.html

     6/14/2003 - gzip
       Insecure temp files

       Multiple vulnerabilities including a buffer overflow and potential
       malicious code execution vulnerabilities have been fixed.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3356.html

     6/14/2003 - man
       Format string vulnerability

       Multiple vulnerabilities including a buffer overflow and potential
       malicious code execution vulnerabilities have been fixed.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3357.html

     6/14/2003 - kon2
       Buffer overflow vulnerability

       Multiple vulnerabilities including a buffer overflow and potential
       malicious code execution vulnerabilities have been fixed.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3358.html

     6/14/2003 - ghostscript
       Insecure temp file

       Multiple vulnerabilities including a buffer overflow and potential
       malicious code execution vulnerabilities have been fixed.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3359.html

     6/16/2003 - cups
       denial of service vulnerability

       CUPS allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service via a
       partial printing request to the IPP port (631), which does not
       time out.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3364.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/17/2003 - ethereal
       multiple vulnerabilities

       Several vulnerabilities in ethereal were discovered by Timo
       Sirainen.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3369.html

     6/17/2003 - gzip
       insecure tmp file vulnerability

       A vulnerability exists in znew, a script included with gzip, that
       would create temporary files without taking precautions to avoid a
       symlink attack.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3370.html

     6/17/2003 - BitchX
       Denial of Service Vulnerability

       A vulnerability exists in znew, a script included with gzip, that
       would create temporary files without taking precautions to avoid a
       symlink attack.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3373.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/18/2003 - Xpdf
       Arbitrary code execution vulnerability

       A vulnerability exists in znew, a script included with gzip, that
       would create temporary files without taking precautions to avoid a
       symlink attack.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3374.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/18/2003 - kernel
       Multiple vulnerabilities

       A vulnerability exists in znew, a script included with gzip, that
       would create temporary files without taking precautions to avoid a
       symlink attack.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-3375.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/16/2003 - radiusd-cistron denial of service vulnerability
       Multiple vulnerabilities

       radiusd-cistron contains a bug allowing a buffer overflow when a
       long NAS-Port attribute is received.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-3365.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/17/2003 - mgetty
       multiple vulnerabilities

       These vulnerabilities allow remote attackers to cause a denial of
       service and	   possibly execute arbitrary code via a Caller ID
       string with a long CallerName argument as well as allow local
       users to modify fax transmission privilege.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/turbolinux_advisory-3371.html

     6/17/2003 - gzip
       insecure tmp file vulnerability

       A vulnerability znew in the gzip package that could allow local
       users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on
       temporary files.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/turbolinux_advisory-3372.html